Brass floats from MikesXS

savage454

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone ordered any and had them not be correct when you install them? On my new one, when I put the pin through the posts on the carb body the notches on the "backbone" that are supposed to hit the post to keep the needle from falling out are way to far from the posts.

No matter where I set the tang the notches don't hit so when I flip the carb to operating position they fall straight down and the needle falls out. I noticed the part on the "backbone" which accepts the pin is pretty shoddy and not closed fully. It is also not at the correct angle.

Do most come this way and you're left to finish the part? I understand adjusting the tang for the float level but I really don't want to pinch the pin receiving hole (for lack of knowing what that area is called) or snap the floats off the "backbone" trying to adjust the angle of the pin receiving thingy. I emailed MikesXS explaining the problem and I hope I'm not totally out of line if they all come like this (which wouldn't make a lot of sense.) Any input would be great.

If push comes to shove I can take the floats off the "backbone" and solder them to my old "backbone" but really that's not what I paid for. I hope I'm not totally wrong here.:shrug:

Thanks, Ryan

The bs38's. I guess I'm just frustrated with riding with a cobbled float and when my new one comes it's my luck I got the 1 out of a 100 that's screwy.

Is the pin backing out from the posts? I'm a little confused. Yes, pics please.
Did you try this with the bowls on? The bowls hold the pin from backing out of the posts.

I'll take some pictures. When the float is on and it is sitting on the needle (like you are checking for adjustment) the small notches that rest against the post to keep the float from falling straight down (while hinged) when you turn them right way around are not doing just that. I got to looking at them and the long guide hole that the pin rests in (in between the posts) to keep the float on is at the wrong angle, so no matter where the tang is adjusted when you turn the carb right side up again (without the bowl on) it just dangles down allowing the needle to fall out because the notches aren't resting against the posts in this position. (the notches I believe are just for that, keeping the float from dropping down to far and releasing the needle.

Sounds complicated, I'm gonna go take some pictures.

On the bs34 plastic floats there's a stop tang you can bend to set how low the floats will drop.

Okay, this is the notch I'm referring to. Sorry for the cell phone pics.

float1.jpg

Here is the two comparatively. I know mines all kinds if janky but it works pretty good, honest. The floats are from a xs400 and the backbone is from my stock floats.
The new one is the one to your left

float5.jpg

here it is in the adjustment position (carb upside down)

float2.jpg

And again, you can see the notches are close to the posts.

float4.jpg

Here is the old float with the carb right side up. It holds the needle in because the notches rest against the posts preventing it from dropping too far.

float3.jpg

Here is the new float in adjustment position.

float6.jpg

Here it is right side up with the needle already on the floor

float8.jpg

You can see (well hopefully) that the notches are not resting against the post and the float has fell low enough to let the needle fall out. No adjustment of the tang helps. The actual guide the pin fits in is at an angle that doesn't let the notches rest against the posts in the upright position.

float7.jpg

It is so out of wack that if I adjust the tang so the needle doesn't fall out my float height is well over 35+mm:wtf:

Last edited:
Okay, I know I'm not crazy. I've never had a float that falls that far. If I left it like this and put the float bowl on the needle would be out before the bowl could fill with gas.

Put the needle and float on with the carb upside down, then hold the bowl on and turn it right side up and shake it a bit then back upside down, remove the bowl and see if the needle is still in - maybe the bowl holds the float up.

Other than that - maybe you got the brass float for the early bs34?

If there's nothing to adjust on it and no way to use it, you simply got a wrong or bad part.

You got to remember that the floats, float. So if the carbs are up right, and the bowls full of fuel, the floats go up and, when full, close the needle.

lilbill the tab should keep the floats from dropping when the bowls are off. Lots of pics, but fuzzy enough to make it tough to tell what's going on for sure.

I understand what a float does. If I put it in like this then replaced my bowl and flipped right side up the needle would be rattling around in the bowl before any gas got in it to make it float. It's just a shit part.

I was rebuilding carbs over the weekend and one mix screw kit that was included (owner sent it with the carbs) was missing the O-ring and washer. The screw and spring were there though. The other kit that was sent had the spring, screw, O-ring, and washer. Both sets were brand new, unopened.

Back