Brass head washers

funky

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Hi All 5Twins told me to fit brass washers on the head bolts and put a link to mikes xs ... I looked and found some on fleebay but they are only 2mm thick rather than 4mm like the ones on Mikesxs :shrug:do you think it possible to double up the fleebay ones to get the 4mm or is that a no no :D
If i buy them from mikes it cost me with import and taxes £40.00:wtf: but the ones on Fleebay are £3.95 for 10 :thumbsup: thats why i am asking

All the best Funky

Yes, before Mike's came out with the brass washers, we used copper washers from the big GS Suzuki fours. If you have a Suzuki dealer near you, you can purchase them there.

Hi All 5Twins told me to fit brass washers on the head bolts and put a link to mikes xs ... I looked and found some on fleebay but they are only 2mm thick rather than 4mm like the ones on Mikesxs :shrug:do you think it possible to double up the fleebay ones to get the 4mm or is that a no no :D
If i buy them from mikes it cost me with import and taxes £40.00:wtf: but the ones on Fleebay are £3.95 for 10 :thumbsup: thats why i am asking

All the best Funky

Hi Funky,
the copper sealing washers from the brake banjo bolts work just fine.
You can buy them at any bike shop real cheap or a real cheapskate can anneal old ones for nothing.

I got some from my local Suzy dealer ,cost me £11 though.
You can probably get them cheaper but I didn't want to wait for delivery.

I order brass screws, washers, acorns etc from a china seller on ebay...... worldwindow2010 been solid so far and cheap. Email them they'll make what you need or have it unlisted.

I'm about to buy some brass washers. What's the max. possible outer diameter? And would 10,5mm be okej for the inner diameter, even though it's not exactly M10?

Would 20 mm od work? And instead use 2 washers that measure 2 mm?

I've found a company here who sell M10x20x2 for 0,7 euro each. The suzuki dealer wants 4 euro each for 2mm thickness.

After reading some posts, It seems that people use different thickness.

I'm also considering changing all 8 instead of just the outer 4. Seems to be diffenrent opinions about that as well.

Hi marp,
I used copper washers salvaged from front brake banjo fittings.
They are perhaps 1mm thick and work just fine.

Aha, thanks, get the whole picture now

What about my other question, would 20 mm instead of 22 be okej?

With M10x20x2 I have a more and cheaper alternatives around here in the local hardware store.

Thanks

Would I be able to change to brass washers (one at a time?) now that my engine is fully rebuilt and running? Do the bolts on top need to be a certain torque? please let me know guys!

Would I be able to change to brass washers (one at a time?) now that my engine is fully rebuilt and running? Do the bolts on top need to be a certain torque? please let me know guys!

Hi Nicky,
not brass washers, eh? You need copper washers or better yet, Dowty seals.
One at a time? Perhaps.
I'd slack off all the head bolts in the reverse of their tightening sequence, swap out the washers then re-torque the head.
Downeaster's link tells you how.

Back