Brat Do's and Dont's?

milldinaire

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone who reads this out there. I finally have decided on doing something to my 83 Heritage Special. I bought the bike three years ago for $150 with 450 original miles on it. I've done a bunch of things from shocks to springs, bars and two into one exhaust. oh and how could I forget xsjohns needles(the best by the way). Well now I have 5000 miles on the bike and I am ready to embark on my xs journey. I have always been a big fan of drop seat hard tails. I love the sit behind the tank look. As well as the low slung frame.

I have decided to go with a bratstyle look. I purchased the visual impact kit. I want to have a super low seat position on the frame. My question is "is there a standard height the shock mounts need to be?" I am willing to send my swing arm out to be stretched if need be. What is the maximum angle a shock could be at before becoming completely useless? The shocks I am going to run currently are the mikes nolins gas shocks shortend all the way up to 12.5 on center.

Any help would be appreciated. Let's just say I am winging it here and really need the help thanks.

Last edited:
Bratstyle bikes do not have lengthened swingarms, some are even shortened. The majority of them use 10.5 rebel shocks. You could just lay the shocks at an angle that looks good, but dont go too extreme or your ride will suffer.

It comes from Japan. Their bikes are required to have suspension unless imported as a hard tail. So they adapted their bikes to look like ridged frames with shocks

It comes from Japan. Their bikes are required to have suspension unless imported as a hard tail. So they adapted their bikes to look like ridged frames with shocks

aww gotcha..i guess it's just the name that irks me..reminds me of those baby dolls you see crying at car shows

That is what my buddy at work said while busting my balls about this build. He's probibly just pissed off because my bike is faster then his 13000 dollar sportster.

Hi everyone who reads this out there. I finally have decided on doing something to my 83 Heritage Special. I bought the bike three years ago for $150 with 450 original miles on it. I've done a bunch of things from shocks to springs, bars and two into one exhaust. oh and how could I forget xsjohns needles(the best by the way). Well now I have 5000 miles on the bike and I am ready to embark on my xs journey. I have always been a big fan of drop seat hard tails. I love the sit behind the tank look. As well as the low slung frame.

I have decided to go with a bratstyle look. I purchased the visual impact kit. I want to have a super low seat position on the frame. My question is "is there a standard height the shock mounts need to be?" I am willing to send my swing arm out to be stretched if need be. What is the maximum angle a shock could be at before becoming completely useless? The shocks I am going to run currently are the mikes nolins gas shocks shortend all the way up to 12.5 on center.

Any help would be appreciated. Let's just say I am winging it here and really need the help thanks.

If you really like the look of drop seat hardtail, with a low slung frame, Why not just do that? Skip the stretched swingarm, short shocks, and do what you really want. See the other thread, brat style vs. hardtail.

Brat do's : Firestone replica tires a must, Frisco mount tank and move filler, redo seat rails, hi-handlebars style of bars vary, short shocks, ribbed fender. Dont's : Rake out, lengthen swingarm, no big headlight small 4" prefered, ummm if I think of more I'll post it:shrug: DISSCLAIMER: These are opinions, I have NO idea what I'm actualy talking about :laugh:

not unlike the thousand or so hardtailed Xs's around eh.

there have always been hardtails, and there will always be hardtails. Building rigid chops isn't going to "go away" in my opinion. They may become less "in style" and go back underground, but that's ok (healthy, even).

Well about the hardtail thing. I was all about it for a long time. unfortunately I just haven't found the style I like for the right price. I'm trying for some originality not just run of the mill. When I am capable of designing and building a hardtail frame that is when I will build my next project. For the money the visual impact kit offered me some options. I might deviate from the traditional styling Q's of bratstyle. I guess if it no longer is considered a brat bike, so be it. I'll call it something like sick style or just plain crap. I'll let you guys decide.
As far as my buddy's bike. It isn't cheap to live in the bay. Especially with all the chromes. My bike has very low miles and runs extremely well. I've done some things to help it run a little tighter. Thank you guys for all your input thus far. I must get to grinding.

Back