BratStyle or HardTail

xs650hacker

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I have searched the forum for the answer to my question I have but couldn't find one. Sorry if I'm asking the same question that has been asked before.

Ok, on to the question: I have been debating on what to do with my frame, should I go bratstyle or hardtail. I am 6'-1" tall and weigh in at a whopping 160lbs (roofing will do this to you :))

I love the look of the bratstyle bikes from Galcia and An-Bu, but don't think I would be comfortable even with the mid controls (I could use forwards but then ruin the look of trying to duplicate a true bratstyle) I also know it would be way more expensive to emulate one of their bikes just by looking at the prices for the parts that they have used if I were to try to achieve an exact replica.

I spoke to Mike at Visual Impact and he didn't feel it would be very comfortable for me either with the stock control location, just wanted to know if anyone here is the same type of build as me and has ridden a bratstyle.

I'm not so concerned with the suspension aspect of it as I've had hardtails before and it doesn't bother me. As it stands now, my frame is cut up to the point where I could brat it or go all the way and just hardtail it. If my intention was to build and sell the bike, I would go full bore on building the replica and calling it good. But this is going to be my bike that I want to put a lot of miles on during our off season up here.

Thanks for any input, sorry for the long winded post and if anyone has any info on whats best hardtail to use if that's the way to go, please chime in (been checking out Travis DIY kit pretty hard!)

Hi Hacker.
I went through the same brain fry before deciding what to do with my build. I am 6.0 and 186lbs. I decided to go Bratstyle. I was worried about the size/ riding position comfort thing too. But I got the bike off the stand after rebuild just the other night and its just right. I say just right. Its ONLY just right size wise. But then it only needs to be. It looks awesome and i had my mate sit on it and hes 20lbs heavier than me and 6.1. It still worked.
As far as comfort goes, a lot will depend on what bars you use and how squashed in they make you feel. I was thinking I would need mid or front controls but stock does work for me. The thing is what look to you want. With stock you get the Britstyle ( triumph etc) look and with mids and forward you start to get a more sportster hd look.
I actually used Spoertster 1inch bars on mine and the riding position works. I will send you a pic of me on the bike at the weekend. For now you can take a look at my build thread...
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6565

But then again, the rigid look if you go to town and get the lines right is the real deal too. Perhaps you better do one of each...
Cheers

Thanks burgs, this is excellent info for me so far and I can't wait to check out those pics!

I've attached a few pics of exactly what I am going for. As I've only one 650 so far (I can only fit one in the front room!) I too have been wracking my brain on what to do with it and would probably have way more of the motor done if I didn't sit and stare at the frame half the time. I'm just in awe at the bratstyle for some reason.

The first bike is from Takamine, the second is from Galcia and the third is an AN-BU creation.

Here's a link to the first bike with more detail: http://www.bratstyle.com/custom/xs760%20chop/xs760%20chop.htm

Attachments

• brat.jpg
    brat.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 4,279
  • photo 36781.jpg
    photo 36781.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 2,915
  • an-bu.jps-xs650-hotrod.jpg
    an-bu.jps-xs650-hotrod.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 1,968
Some people on here simply stretch the rear end on a swingarm bike to create a better fit. IMO it takes away from the look Bratstyle created though.

Bratstyle is a bit more unique and will ride a hair better than a hardtail (both for yourself and your frame and components). The other thing about bratting out a bike is that its about minimalizing things. Make your own parts where you can. The center pic above that xs650hacker posted is what we're building for my wife (well using as inspiration). We're still on track with our $500 budget, including the bike, less paint and new tires.

As far as mids vs forwards goes I don't think forwards take away from the brat look if they are done nicely. It really depends on the forwards you make.

Hi Hacker.
Ok I see the style you are looking at. So if you are going to drop the frame for a low slung seat, then if you keep stock controls your knees will be higher than your hips.
The Japs go for this look and even raise the controls to give more of a horseracing jockey kind of ride ( see pic.)
But remember they are on the whole much shorter and slimmer than we are.
IMO if you are going to lower the seat into the frame then I agree Capt Zoom, that forward or mid controls wont detract from the look and in this case will add to ride comfort. For me I didnt drop the seat so stock still works.

Attachments

• bratstyle riding.jpg
    bratstyle riding.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 6,546
Good info from both of you! From the sounds of it so far, I'm leaning heavily toward bratting the bike unless someone tall says there is no way I'm going to be comfortable for any length of time on this bike.

Beau, Excellent suggestion, but I really don't want to lengthen the swing arm, though that as well has been suggested by others, for the simple reason that almost every true brat has the stock, if not shortened swing arm. Yes, it may provide me more room but I want this bike to stand out and be as true as possible to the Japanese Brat bikes.

Capt_Zoom, would love to see some pics of this when it is done! Did you go with the viz impact kit, make your own, or just bend the seat rails down and re-weld? My budget is fairly low (or at least that's what I lead my fiance to believe :)) but making most of my own parts and doing all the work myself will help save. Realistically, I think I can pull this off for maybe $1500-$2000 total (of this estimate, $400 is already gone with the purchase price of $100 and all the parts for a top-end rebuild)

Back