Brembo conversion rotor to fork clearance

Jaydela180

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Mocking up brembo on 35mm forks with stock rotor. Rotor seem awfully close to inside of fork.... just a couple of mm. Is that normal? Anyone have a measurement to share?
Thanks in advance.

It will be close yes. I'm not using a stock rotor but using a rotor spacer to create the same offset. Member Glennpm, I think that's it, ended up with about 1.25 mm between rotor and forks. I just got mine all squared up this weekend. Here's a video showing clearances....
https://vimeo.com/165070909

If you are using a non-floating caliper, like a 4-piston Brembo, Yamaha"Blue Spot" or similar, the disc will have to be close to the fork slider.

On my 1977 XS, I ordered a custom ISR 320 mm disc with 23 mm offset. This is effectively the same as the popular 320 mm Brembo from Ducati (10 mm offset) plus a 13 mm spacer. In any case, the disc floater buttons will have 1-2 mm clearance to the fork slider.

I got a custom made disc to avoid the weight and added complication of a spacer and longer bolts.

Sure, got any more questions just ask. Did you already shave the caliper to clear the spokes?

Mag wheels. Clearance good there. Just got everything centered and lined up. Think im good.

Heres one for ya: What brake fluid was running through these calipers? Collapsed pistons and out came yellowish clear. Is that 3/4 or 5?

If your brake fluid looks yellow or yellow/brown, its time for you to change it. Yellow is not good (don't eat yellow snow!).

DOT 4 has a higher boiling point than 3. Use DOT 4 which is readily available or 5.1. DOT 5 could damage your seals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOT_5

and from Summit racing:

" What is the difference between DOT 3, DOT 4, DOT 5, and DOT 5.1 brake fluids?

DOT 3, DOT 4, and DOT 5.1 brake fluids are glycol-based compounds that are compatible with one another. On the other hand, DOT 5 brake fluid is silicone-based and should never be mixed with any other type of brake fluid. DOT 3, DOT 4, and DOT 5.1 brake fluids will damage painted surfaces. DOT 3 and DOT 4 fluids have lower boiling temperatures than DOT 5 and DOT 5.1. Furthermore, DOT 3, DOT 4, and DOT 5.1 fluids are hygroscopic--they absorb moisture from the air. This causes the fluid to turn dark, indicating that it is time for the brake fluid to be replaced. DOT 5 fluid will not damage paint, has a boiling temperature in excess of 500 degrees F, and is not hygroscopic."

It will be close yes. I'm not using a stock rotor but using a rotor spacer to create the same offset. Member Glennpm, I think that's it, ended up with about 1.25 mm between rotor and forks. I just got mine all squared up this weekend. Here's a video showing clearances....
https://vimeo.com/165070909

i have an 82 special. i have the floating rotor from mikes and installed the pandamonium spacer behind it. mounted the caliper bracket. brembo gold caliper (did not file the area where the brake pads go) i did file the mount ear numbers so pads/bracket can sit flush, and the back side of the piston area. tried to mock up and this thing seems to be at least a 1/4" off (spacer to thin?) it appears the spacer in the vid is a lot thicker than came with my kit. do i have the wrong one? or do we have to make one when we run a non stock rotor. i did order a 35mm kit (i think) any help is always appreciated

i have an 82 special. i have the floating rotor from mikes and installed the pandamonium spacer behind it. mounted the caliper bracket. brembo gold caliper (did not file the area where the brake pads go) i did file the mount ear numbers so pads/bracket can sit flush, and the back side of the piston area. tried to mock up and this thing seems to be at least a 1/4" off (spacer to thin?) it appears the spacer in the vid is a lot thicker than came with my kit. do i have the wrong one? or do we have to make one when we run a non stock rotor. i did order a 35mm kit (i think) any help is always appreciated

Yes, the spacer from Pandemonium is 4.5mm, it's not nearly thick enough. The spacer I used is 10mm plus additional shims behind the spacer to make it 13mm offset....I have a recent thread discussing this in more detail. I'll bump it for you.

Back