Brembo rear brakes?

AirsoftNY

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a kit that allows you to mount a brembo or other aftermarket caliper to the rear rotor? I know there are kits for the front but cannot find anything for the rear.

Thanks

Aaron

Does anyone know if there is a kit that allows you to mount a brembo or other aftermarket caliper to the rear rotor? I know there are kits for the front but cannot find anything for the rear.

Thanks

Aaron

I designed and made my own rear brake adapter bracket. I made up a template and transferred that to 3/8" aluminum. Cut it out, drill a few holes, and tap a couple of threads. You also need some spacers for the axle.

With the Brembo you need to grind a larger opening where the rotor goes throught the caliper. That's because our stock rotors are 7 mm. If you chose to use 5 mm Yamaha rotors or Brembo 3 or 4 mm rotors, then maybe very little grinding or no grinding at all required.

Attachments

• Rear caliper mounted.JPG
    Rear caliper mounted.JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 1,235
  • IMG_6171 R1.JPG
    IMG_6171 R1.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 634
I dug around for a month looking for a "bolt on kit" way of doing just this, ie., updated modern caliper and/or rotor on an otherwise stock rear end. Retiredgent's solution is probably as good as anything else, and simple to boot.

Robert at Omar's has a not-well-advertised-on-his-website underslung Brembo bracket:

omarsbrake.jpg

Shown with his EBC rotor mounted on a front hub (19" conversion kit), requires a stay (not installed in pic), but you get the idea...

I didn't like the look of the caliper bracket stay/link, and preferred a smaller rotor, so I went another direction:

2012-03-31_14-01-06_459.jpg

Again, on a front hub, but can't see why you couldn't use it on a rear hub if you really wanted to... The rotor carrier was quite a piece of work, but the rotor, caliper, and caliper bracket are all inexpensive late-model Ducati/Aprilia salvage pieces... and no brake stay!

In any event, putting the caliper below the swingarm gets you out of the way of the shock, with a little more room for creative stay mounting, line routing, etc. Take a look at the various RD/RZ rear caliper brackets; several of them look they would bolt-on to the stock XS rear, and might open up a bunch of caliper options.

I dug around for a month looking for a "bolt on kit" way of doing just this, ie., updated modern caliper and/or rotor on an otherwise stock rear end. Retiredgent's solution is probably as good as anything else, and simple to boot.

Robert at Omar's has a not-well-advertised-on-his-website underslung Brembo bracket:

omarsbrake.jpg

Shown with his EBC rotor mounted on a front hub (19" conversion kit), requires a stay (not installed in pic), but you get the idea...

I didn't like the look of the caliper bracket stay/link, and preferred a smaller rotor, so I went another direction:

2012-03-31_14-01-06_459.jpg

Again, on a front hub, but can't see why you couldn't use it on a rear hub if you really wanted to... The rotor carrier was quite a piece of work, but the rotor, caliper, and caliper bracket are all inexpensive late-model Ducati/Aprilia salvage pieces... and no brake stay!

In any event, putting the caliper below the swingarm gets you out of the way of the shock, with a little more room for creative stay mounting, line routing, etc. Take a look at the various RD/RZ rear caliper brackets; several of them look they would bolt-on to the stock XS rear, and might open up a bunch of caliper options.

Hi,

What disc have you used on the second one? I want to do a similar sort of thing. I have a caliper and mount off an GSXR but obviously the XS650 stock disc is way too big.

I sell one for use with the stock rear rotor and brembo caliper. Also have one for the front rotor on the rear wheel. Give me a call at the shop 419-576-6812, Daniel

Thank you, but as I have already got a rear caliper and mount from a GSXR I will try and work something out. I'm sure I can find a small rear yamaha disc. If I'm not able I will be in touch. Thanks again.

Back