Brembro pandemonium conversion

Docwits

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Novice question here. I would like to upgrade the front brakes. I have already ordered a lightened slotted rotor, upgraded master cylinder and stainless one piece hose. My plan is to use the PANDEMONIUM brembo kit. They are sold out of the calipers though. I have found some great deals on LEFT side brembo gold calipers on eBay. Since my front wheel is set up for dual side brakes, any problems with using only a left side caliper? I don't want the extra weight of running dual calipers.

I didn't know if it would through the balance of the wheel off or mess with the Speedo?

Thanks for your guidance

The left side mounting works just fine for the stock rotor and cast aluminum wheels.

If the rotor you buy has a different offset( i.e. smaller than stock), then you may have a conflict with the rotor not clearing the speedo gear drive unit.

Edit: My stock rotor has a 19 mm offset and it cleared the speedo unit. I tried to use a rotor with 10 mm offset and it did not clear the speedo unit.

Attachments

• Brembo front mounting.JPG
    Brembo front mounting.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
when looking for the caliper pandemonium uses a late model 65mm caliper, it will be easy to spot because the brake shoes will mount with two pins instead of one

Thanks for the info guys! Mr. Retired how do I spot the the 10 mm offset? PANDEMONIUM is sold out of em so I am getting off eBay? Where should I have them measure? Or are there certain bikes (they all seem to be Ducats) that came with the correct offset?

Finally, are you all happy with the set up? Worth the upgrade?

Thanks,

Wits

Thanks for the info guys! Mr. Retired how do I spot the the 10 mm offset? PANDEMONIUM is sold out of em so I am getting off eBay? Where should I have them measure? Or are there certain bikes (they all seem to be Ducats) that came with the correct offset?

Finally, are you all happy with the set up? Worth the upgrade?

Thanks,

Wits

This link shows a 10 mm offset. The diagram shows where its measured.
http://www.oppracing.com/images/cmsuploads/Brembo/OEM_Schematics/oppracing 08_4899-76 brembo.pdf

I don't know what you mean by "correct" offset.

As I said before, only the stock rotor with 19 mm offset, is sure to clear the speedo drive unit.
If you want to be safe, better to buy a right side Brembo caliper, and then the offset is not a consideration.

Oh yes, the upgrade from stock to a 4 piston (Brembo) caliper is a big improvement. I'd say its at least a 50% improvement.

On my -77 with spoked wheels, there was also a clearance issue between spokes and the inside of the Brembo caliper, I used a 65 mm one, but I believe the 40 mm one would have the same issue. So using a Ducati disc that was just collecting dust, was not possible, unless using a 12 to 13 mm thick spacer between disc and hub. This adds weight, and may also increase the bending stress in the disc bolts, which also then would have to be 10 mm longer (the Ducati disc is 4 mm thick, the stock one 7 mm. So for Brembo calipers and 320 mm disc on spoke wheels, it is either a spacer, or a 4 to 5 mm thick disc with 22 to 23 mm offset. This puts the caliper ears and the fork leag ears about even, so a flat caliper adapter should work fine.

Sorry, got confused on the offset issue. I am using stock rotors so shouldn't be an issue.

Again, thanks for all the advice guys.

I'm looking to buy brake lines for my front brembo 4 cylinder caliper. I've gone to spiegler brake lines and some other places. I haven't been able to find a site where I can order a certain length of brake line. I'm running 12' ape bars and stock fork length on my 82 xs650. Any suggestions?

Well, I know this is a Yamaha site, and I am telling you to go to a Kawasaki site, but "brake lines is brake lines", so try Z1 Enterprises and see if they can supply your needed length. They sell the line separate from the fittings at each end, so you would need to measure carefully before ordering.

Kind of like the old carpenter adage: "measure twice cut once, measure once cut twice".

Try this link: https://www.z1enterprises.com/store...4-cycle-parallel-twin/xs1b-1971/wheel/ss-hose

Back