Bridge rectifier check please?

Its been a long time

Doesn't know nothing.
Reaction score
Considering buying one of these to replace the 47 year old rectifier on my 77 XS650D. Described as "3 Phase Diode Bridge Rectifier 35A 1000V". I think this will do the job, but could anyone confirm it looks OK? Thanks.

Picture below -

1000001500.jpg

That is what I put in my 78 when my rectifier blew , rotor fried all cause the Regulator went out of adjustment.
The hole in the middle worked good to bolt up using original bolt/nut under the battery box on my bike.
I soldered and used liquid tape to seal it up good and wired it into the original cut harness after removing old rectifier.

Might i suggest you also replace the regulator with the VR115.

EDIT: reason I soldered and put liquid tape vs using a spade crimp was because it gets dirty under there and did not want connections exposed. I did wire tie the harness so it did not move while riding.

Last edited:
That is what I put in my 78 when my rectifier blew , rotor fried all cause the Regulator went out of adjustment.
The hole in the middle worked good to bolt up using original bolt/nut under the battery box on my bike.
I soldered and used liquid tape to seal it up good and wired it into the original cut harness after removing old rectifier.

Might i suggest you also replace the regulator with the VR115.
Thanks. Good to know.

Here in the UK, those regulators are not common, I can't find one. I have a three wire voltage regulator originally for Peugeot/Citroen/Lada that should be delivered here tomorrow that I plan to use. Just a European take on the regulator you suggested, really.

Just make sure that regulator you're getting is a "B" type (power regulating). Automotive regulators come in two types, known as an "A" type and a "B" type. The "A" type provides a regulated ground signal to the alternator, the "B" type a regulated power signal. 650 alternators up through '79 ground the inner brush full time and need a regulated power signal fed to the outer brush. This requires a "B" type regulator. In 1980, the brush wiring was changed, sort of made the opposite. The inner brush is fed power (switched with the key) full time and the outer brush needs a regulated ground signal fed to it. This requires an "A" type regulator.

Thanks. Good to know.

Here in the UK, those regulators are not common, I can't find one. I have a three wire voltage regulator originally for Peugeot/Citroen/Lada that should be delivered here tomorrow that I plan to use. Just a European take on the regulator you suggested, really.

Same over here. Bosch RE55 are easier to get for points models.

Still not cheap, cheap.

Just make sure that regulator you're getting is a "B" type (power regulating). Automotive regulators come in two types, known as an "A" type and a "B" type. The "A" type provides a regulated ground signal to the alternator, the "B" type a regulated power signal. 650 alternators up through '79 ground the inner brush full time and need a regulated power signal fed to the outer brush. This requires a "B" type regulator. In 1980, the brush wiring was changed, sort of made the opposite. The inner brush is fed power (switched with the key) full time and the outer brush needs a regulated ground signal fed to it. This requires an "A" type regulator.
Absolutely. This is the regulator I bought. As far as I can work out, it's exactly what I need. Red = +ve, Black = -ve, Green = Field -

1000001501.jpg

I’ve found it! Typed the part number incorrectly!
Well done. I'll have to look to see what crimps etc I need to connect the regulator and rectifier to the existing wiring loom. I don't want to cut the tails off either the regulator or the rectifier. I'll make a new wiring tail for both of them. I don't know anything about electrical crimps etc. So I'll have to work out what I need to connect into the stock Yamaha harness.

Let me know how you get on. If you can’t find suitable connectors, Bikers Toolbox do a good range of 6.3 and 2.4 multi block connectors compatible with many Japanese bikes. I’ve used loads of them on Kawasaki’s. 👍🏻
Thanks. I'm fine with mechanical stuff, but starting from a position of almost zero knowledge with electrics. I'll take a look there, see if I can find what I need. The regulator should arrive either today or Monday and the rectifier early next week.

I have other electrical stuff to sort out bringing this 77 XS650D back from the dead.

Back