Bringing an old Xs650 back to life

Sounds good guys. Thanks for the explanations. Makes sense, just had to scratch my head for a second and make sure it is a good idea to drop the coin and get a Mike's xs gravity petcock.

Wish I had more updates to make here but I am waiting for parts. Grrrr

Sounds good guys. Thanks for the explanations. Makes sense, just had to scratch my head for a second and make sure it is a good idea to drop the coin and get a Mike's xs gravity petcock. - - -

Hi gingersnap,
remember that your order to MikesXS should include the rubber cap that blanks off the carb manifold vacuum connection that won't be hooked up any more.
You'd really hate paying Mikes shipping charge just to get a $1 part.
BTW, what I did was use that vacuum barb to work my ScottOiler.

Thanks for the heads up buddy. I'll keep that in mind!

Mike's has been getting all sorts of small orders from me lately. That place is addicting!

Just got the new parts from Mike's xs and put them on. Bike is running great with one size up on the main and one size up on the pilot jet. Only issue is this ever so slight hang on the idle which I think I can tune out once I pop the caps for the mixture screws. I think it'll help to replace my carb shaft seals too.

Out with the old in with the new

IMAG3239.jpg

As she sits so far.
IMAG3242.jpg

Hey guys
I need a little input on a problem I am having.

I have stock air filters with no boot leaks - up 1 size on mains up 1 size on pilots. The bike won't idle right. It's sometimes idles real high. Sometimes hangs. Other times idles just right.

Yesterday I took her out for her maiden voyage and got on the freeway and was going at a "spirited pace" and the bike died almost like it ran out of gas. I let it sit for 5 mins and was able to start it and ride it for a little bit again and then it died like it was running out of gas again.

Any ideas??

What's the reason why you have upped the jet sizes I would stick with the stock jets and set the pilot screw to stock setting, but that does sound like air getting in check the vacuum spigots and the pipes to the petcocks for air leaks, spray wd40 around the joints while running and if the idle changes that is where a leak is, as for the dying that sounds like a lack of fuel, check feeds from tank to carbs to make sure you have good flow and can we safely assume the tank is clean inside with no rubbish in the bottom.

What year? Is the charging system working? If it's TCI ignition the charging system and a GOOD battery are very important. all ignitions like lots of volts. If it's points or pamco without the e-advance then look into your advance mechanism, remove polish and use a very light lube on the advance rod, check the advance curve with a timing light.

I did did put on a tank bag that covered the gas cap. Maybe it just couldn't suck any air in.. idk.

I was originally gonna put in pod filters and upped the jets and ended up putting in oem filters and just haven't swapped the jets back to oem yet. Maybe I'll swap back to oem and sync the carbs.

The bike has electronic ignition.

Swapped back to stock mains and the bike runs a little better bottom end up studders on the top end.

Everything I'm seeing points to it still being an air leak. I'm gonna buy some new carb boots from Mike's xs and see if that helps.

If not, I'm gonna set this bike on fire and call it a day.

Back