IMG_2037_zps90982499.jpg

IMG_2041_zps1dd90b22.jpg

XS650-hardtail-custom-motor-mounts_zpse6c96e7e.jpg

xs650-Custom-front-motor-mount_zpsa393e24a.jpg

XS650-hardtail-mid-controls-1_zpsf6d7979d.jpg

XS650-hardtail-mid-controls_zps57700124.jpg

http://truenorthmetal.com/

Last edited:
I can see that this is not your first rodeo, looks great, keep posting pics and welcome aboard. tim

Welcome TrueNorthMetal! I am new to the board as well, but it really is nice to see another forum member from the lower mainland!! Woohoo!! Nice Build!

Thanks - where about are you ?

I'm in the Newton area of Surrey...near Bear Creek Park.

How long have you been working on bikes? I just bought a 1980 XS650 that I lovingly refer to as "Crap Pile", and I plan on working on it soon, then re-name it. I'm brand new to bikes, but I have a few ideas on what I would like my bike to look like when I'm done...

I'm in the Newton area of Surrey...near Bear Creek Park.

How long have you been working on bikes? I just bought a 1980 XS650 that I lovingly refer to as "Crap Pile", and I plan on working on it soon, then re-name it. I'm brand new to bikes, but I have a few ideas on what I would like my bike to look like when I'm done...

ha ha...I have had a few vehicles that I also have referred to, lovingly of course, in very blunt descriptives.....always good times :banghead:

My desire is to continue to do this for side income, but still keep it enjoyable. This XS will be sold when it is done and the plan is 10% of sale price goes to Cystic Fibrosis research.

I am also working on a jig for the front motor mount that I just made. It is not super original, but a sight cooler than the stock ones if stock is not important to the builder.....if you have interest, maybe I could work you the screaming deal from h<ll in exchange for some fitment feedback from you..?

Last edited:
I am also working on a jig for the front motor mount that I just made. It is not super original, but a sight cooler than the stock ones if stock is not important to the builder.....if you have interest, maybe I could work you the screaming deal from h<ll in exchange for some fitment feedback from you..?

I'll fire you a PM.

Posted via Mobile

Tanks is mounted, forks close...still not sure if they will be painted or polished, seat mounted..... Stanchions are just tacked as I may cut those posts off and drill and tab them for a bolt, mid controls fab'd and tacked, motor mounts done.

XS650-hardtail-frisco-polished-forks-1_zps59099baa.jpg

1-XS650-hardtail-frisco-polished-forks_zps05e1c7bc.jpg

1981-XS650-hardtail-frisco-1_zps3e9db93a.jpg

Nice one mate. Im in the middle of my 81 brat build. Just working out all the wiring in my head now actually. Going to get into the actual re-making of the harness tomorrow.

Some sweet parts you have going there. Let me know if you need any more Guinea pigs. Im in New West.

SPud

Nice one mate. Im in the middle of my 81 brat build. Just working out all the wiring in my head now actually. Going to get into the actual re-making of the harness tomorrow.

Some sweet parts you have going there. Let me know if you need any more Guinea pigs. Im in New West.

SPud

Cool........I am still looking for somebody to try a mount....and I work in New West. Let me get the jig finished and crank one out and I will PM you and see what you think.

I am kinda mullin my wiring a bit too......I have a love hate relation ship with wiring. Never look forward to it, and dont really enjoy doing it, but I have some need to make it look space shuttle sano & tidy, but I am in the stage right now of looking at the giant mess of a wiring harness on the floor and starting to figure out what i need to keep, and where it is going on the bike.

I have seen some interesting concepts for holding elect pieces in the "oil tank"....but they all look a bit shabby when they are done.....mine cant be shabby so I will ponder more :umm:

yeah, sounds good.

I have exactly the same concerns about it looking janky. I was going to get/make a fake oil tank to hold all the stuff, but then I realised that I really dont have that much stuff to hold. I was going to wait until I could afford a PMA, but I am going to wire it up with the stock charging system and see how she runs, then I can just add in the PMA whenever.

I think everything I need will fit in this old oil catch tank I have, with the fuse panel and battery placed in easy access, just in case. anyway, I just want to get mine running for the spring.

Im always interested to hear other peoples thoughts on their wiring. Im going to go downstairs and sit in front of the bike for a couple of hours and hope that it all just wires itself up. lol

Spud

yeah, sounds good.

I have exactly the same concerns about it looking janky. I was going to get/make a fake oil tank to hold all the stuff, but then I realised that I really dont have that much stuff to hold. I was going to wait until I could afford a PMA, but I am going to wire it up with the stock charging system and see how she runs, then I can just add in the PMA whenever.

I think everything I need will fit in this old oil catch tank I have, with the fuse panel and battery placed in easy access, just in case. anyway, I just want to get mine running for the spring.

Im always interested to hear other peoples thoughts on their wiring. Im going to go downstairs and sit in front of the bike for a couple of hours and hope that it all just wires itself up. lol

Spud

ha ha...think we are in the same boat. I actually could pull it off with out the 'tank' but does look cooler. Was actually thinking of locating wiring bits under the battery in some sort of a compartment....maybe the voltage regs fins are through the floor for cooling. 'Tank' could hold coil and have a super easy access panel....with a clean interior and be almost glove box like.........dont know.

I am also thinking same on upgrade charging system...and think I will also wait until it is done and fires before leaping in there.

I did a full rewire on a Sportster.........that was a project...I actually think this is going to be easy. $34 at TC gets you half way there by the looks of it.

Peace bro...chat soon on M mounts

yeah, looking at the spaghetti junction ive been looking at for the last two hours, im not sure exactly where to go.

Need to ponder this all a little more I think. Fuck it. lol

yeah, looking at the spaghetti junction ive been looking at for the last two hours, im not sure exactly where to go.

Need to ponder this all a little more I think. Fuck it. lol

you have me thinking and maybe someone else can chime in.......sounds like there is a general concensus that the charging and ignition systems are marginal at best........kinda thinking now maybe I just go ahead and get r done and replace while I am doing everything else.

my questions are; what do i need to upgrade, and what are the best most economical options....not going to be racing this.....just want everything to be solid................I have heard Hugh, Pamco, PMA, Boyer B...... and all I know is that I have Elect Ig and no points.

Anybody have any advice..?

Back