Broke 2 fins

Bonsai

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
SO I was cleaning up the garage and moved my motor. Dumped it and broke two fins...

Easiest way to fix or just replace? I don't weld!

what fins did you breake? I had a prestine engine untill i dumped mine. lukily, It was one of the fins on the case in the front lower. cant really see it. If you can find a cylinder block on ebay, you can get your sleeves out of your fins, and put them in a unbroken fin block. you can do it yourself in your oven at 250 degrees.

Two of the top fins... One has a big chunk out the other, a smaller chunk and a bend...

9402308.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I'm not totally adverse to rebuilding with JBWeld, I can redneck-engineer with the best of 'em but...

What about this stuff?

Will work with propane or MAPP gas- can prolly handle that.

http://www.aluminumrepair.com/faqs.asp

On your broken fins an Oxy-Acetylene Torch with a rose bud tip will work better. The propane or mapp gas torch won't supply enough heat to doo the job. The jugs will draw the heat away faster than the propane/mapp gas can give it.
I have those rods, They work well. They will work if done right.
Very strong.
Leo

What rods are you talking about XSLeo? Sorry to Hijack, but I posted this problem about an hour earlier. I think it would be easier to weld these in instead of transferring the sleeves after the blasting time I put into my engine.
Sorry but fuck JB Weld. I wouldn't use that shit if you want a pristine cylinder head.
Oh, sorry just seen the link for the rods.

The rods are the ones Bonsai linked to. The HTS-2000 alloy welding rods.
I love JB Weld, For this task I would weld them in.
With the rods you need to make forms, then melt the rods into the forms. If you get them there is a video that shows many techniques to use the rods.
Leo

Looks like I'll give the rods a shot... want to learn to weld anyway so I'll see if I can snag one of my bros to come and guide me!

Its County Fair time and my "motorcycle shop" half of the garage gets converted to a chicken pen so I haven't been able to work on anything. Should be back on it after the weekend.

Back