Broke top motor mount.

Jaydela180

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ever seen this? given i shaved them up a bit and only using left side.
20161029_132817.jpg

Both sides were broken on my '74. Some of the bolts were loose too. Would like to know which happened first, loose bolts or broken bracket?

CORRECTION...AFTER LOOKING......Only my right side was broken, same place, some of my other mounts were loose too, I'm sure about the mid-rear being loose, probably adding to the stress.

Scott

Last edited:
The more that I look at the design of those top brackets, it's as if they were designed to break away before cracking the engine bosses. The thin areas are in the "stress" areas.

Scott

Not surprising that it broke. By eliminated one half of the brackets, its was down to 50% strength, and then by shaving, its down to
40% to 45%. Its possible that Yamaha did design a "weak" area into the brackets, which makes it even more important to use both brackets.

Always believed it was necessary to have a top motor mount....that is why it wasnt completely deleted. now i understand that both are needed.

Yes bolt was loose.

Well, I guess that answered the question for the guy when he asked if he could run without the top brackets a week ago or so!

One of mine was cracked like that when I got my bike. I just welded it back up. I've since replaced it with an unbroken spare. I checked all the engine mounts when I got the bike. Not just a couple, but ALL were loose. The self locking nuts used on the motor mount bolts don't hold as well after they've been on and off a few times. I add regular split ring lock washers to them.

My early 70-74 service manuals make no mention of any kind of tightening sequence for the upper mount jumble. I've just tightened mine gradually, in a sequence that makes sense to me. Does a 'tightening sequence' exist for the later models?

My son had an XS650 chop hardtail that ran with no top mounts for twenty years. We refurbished it a couple years ago and I made mounts just for the hell of it.

407051830.jpg

I have ran many without top mount and never had problem. But if you want one I do have parts for one.
All these bikes have been on streets for over 6 years no top mount
Just PM me your address and I will send you some spares

Attachments

• xs650orange.png
    xs650orange.png
    396.3 KB · Views: 143
  • xs650 w springer.png
    xs650 w springer.png
    918.4 KB · Views: 270
  • xs650-chop-noid-white_bike-587x440.jpg
    xs650-chop-noid-white_bike-587x440.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 110