broken case - what are my options?

knuklehead

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Well, put the clutch cover on and noticed that the case (top half) is broken. What can I do, find another case or ??? Any advice?

:eek: :doh:

Attachments

• Picture 132.jpg
    Picture 132.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 163
  • Picture 133.jpg
    Picture 133.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 137
That part is just a guard to block grease from slinging off the chain, right? As long as it doesn't leak oil I'd say it's fine. Get that thing in a parts washer so you can spot any other cracks.

That part gets broken off alot. Most any welder can fit a piece back in there. It does more than keep chain crud off, it helps hold the sidecover from flexing when using the clutch.

That cover has been welded up before and cleaned off back to original face (you can see the gas (?) marks).

Easy to get it welded up (get it done from the inside and outside and then when you clean it up on the outside it should be almost invisible). Or, as it looks like you have plenty of other work to do, its cheaper and less time consuming to get another one. 16 on US E'bay today (I must get a job!!:laugh:)

Check item 220667671270 $22 all in and no bids yet! Sorted!

Im with tech. That motor looks spent! I would be checking c- list or flea bay for a motor. A couple months ago I picked up an xs for 150 and the following week another for 165. And they were both complete bike. One motor is bad tho

Having another look and noticing part of the crankcase missing (was having diner before!! lol) I'd agree. Keep it for spares and get another.

ironsled77, i would pick up a motor but they are really hard to find here in the frozen north. Every piece of S#@* that somebody has is taken for gold. Can't even get a whole bike for under 2500.00. Just not enough of them here to begin with thus the steep price for crap. I will clean everything up this weekend for sure to really see what shape it is in. Thanks for the opinions, keep um coming.

Back