Broken gas cap hinge (1975)

eghansen

XS650 Member
Reaction score
My new tank just showed up with the gas cap hinge busted off. Not sure about other years but with the 75's it's welded right onto the tank.

Is it worth trying to restore? If so please share any tips, tricks, horror stories, etc.

It's really tough to tell about repairability without seeing what you've got left of the old
hinge mount. How about a good picture of the damaged area? Best, Blue

The 75B tank is one of the favorites for me...the tank is ruggedly built, large capacity (4 gallons +) and the OEM cap is strong and good looking in my opinion though difficult to find a replacement for. I have built and rebuilt several now, derusted them all and relined them as well and rebuilt the petcocks. If at all practical to repair, you'll end up with a better tank than you can usually find to replace it.....unless it's another OEM 75B.

So let's see what might be possible regarding repairs?

Meanwhile, here's a blow up of the cap and hinge at issue.....Best, Blue

Attachments

• fuel-tank-tx650axs650b-xs650-b-1974-1976_bigyau0774g-5_9eb0.jpg
    fuel-tank-tx650axs650b-xs650-b-1974-1976_bigyau0774g-5_9eb0.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 258
It was an original, used tank. There was enough of the hinge left that the cap stayed on when closed (it would just come off completely when refueling). I ended up just returning it and buying a whole new tank with an intact hinge.

Still hunting for a replacement cap...

Thanks for all the info Blue!

Hmmm, I just purchased a 1975 tank (black and gold) with the SAME EXACT PROBLEM from an ebay seller who did not disclose the issue. Wondering if i got the same tank that you had...

If you don't care if the cap is stock you can grind the old hinge and catch parts off the tank and weld in a new bung. The after market sells several different bungs that let you use hundreds of different caps. Most of the after market catalogs have them.
Leo

Back