Broken/Overtorqued Neutral Detent Housing

luckynumber0

In Over His Head
Reaction score
Hey All,

I have an 82 XS I picked up that the previous owner overtorqued the Neutral Detent bolt on. The assembly (spring, bolt, and detent itself) is there and there is just a milimeter or so of thread left on the housing so I can kind of hand screw the assembly in and it holds...Obviously, I don't want to be riding around with the thing cracked open and riding on a couple threads...

I've been told to take it to a TIG welder and have them build up the housing and then tap it out. I know its probably worth paying for a good solid fix, but in the interest of options I'd like to know if anyone has used HTS-2000 at-home aluminum weld or anything like that?

Thanks much!

I have extra neutral housings. just took one out of a broken case.
Part #22

ELECTRICAL_1.png

Thanks for the response, but I'm referring to this here (this is not a photo of my engine...imagine instead an '82 and imagine there's a big chip out of where the arrow is pointed so that the thread of the bolt would be visible):

http://imgur.com/OOUlw34

I think I would epoxy or JB weld it in, Repeated use of acetone/brake cleaner to get rid of oil first. Or maybe drill and tap a hole for a setscrew? Would be nice to see a pic of your chip/crack.

Back