BS Carbs and Mixture Screws

ReycleBill

Part Time Tyrannicide
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
So let me get this straight. Is it true that the mixture screws on the carbs on my 83 XS650 are located behind some sort of little metal plate that has to be ripped out before I can adjust them? And if so, can anyone point me to a clear picture of the thing I need to rip out?

I'm getting really tired of removing and replacing the same carburetors...

Thanks!

Its the little circle in the middle of the pic.

Attachments

• 34 mm Tintop air fuel capped.jpg
    34 mm Tintop air fuel capped.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 95
Remember when you replace them that there is, in this order, plug, the jet, spring, washer, and then a little rubber O-ring. Not having that little washer can throw the idle off too. You can use a self tapping sheet metal screw to get the plug out. Use it like a little grabbing point.
Here's the screw assembly:
mix screw.jpg

Littlebill
You just amase me with all that you come up with. Pictures and all.
See there are good guys on here that can help you out with the littlest thing.
GOOD FOR YOU MAN

I like to use a 6" steel rule, small enough to fit next to the float and thin enough to insert between the gasket & body outer lip to reach the gasket surface .....

34 Correct.jpg

Littlebill, where did you get that mix screw? It appears it may not be the E.P.A. stepped style - which is probably a good thing .....

80-on Mix Screws.jpg

Last edited:
It's just the one I ordered from mikesxs. It's a "Tour Max" as well, same bag. The complete mix screw kit they offer. I'll check what number is on the bag when I get home.

This style mix screw is interesting. The normal 3 to 3 1/2 turns out that most BS34s seem to like may not apply when using this different taper style screw. If you use it please report what setting works best. The taper is more like the '77 and older BS38 screws, before the E.P.A. had their way with us, lol. This could turn out to be another little improvement for the 34s.

It's a non-step and I run mine 3 out, 142.5 mains, 45 pilots, pods, open exhaust, sea level and it runs great! Actual just a tid-bit rich. It's a lot shorter than the stock, so you don't need to turn it out much at all. 2 1/2 is perfect color on the plugs, but I have it a bit rich.

5twins, the label reads "48-5012". I've been using these since I got the bike. I ordered several sets when I rebuilt the carbs. I noticed the length difference and figured there would be a rich/lean difference. I did the dead cylinder method, so I never really messed around to see what I can get out of them. Should be nice next week, so I'm gonna get some extra plugs and see what happens when I go real rich / lean.

I just went to look up these parts, I have a set of BS34's I plan on trying. The #48-5011 is the screw, spring, o-ring and washer. #48-5012 is a washer, o-ring and the blind plug.
The pic of the screw in #48-5011 looks to be a stepped screw.

I noticed that too. I got these this week.
screw 5012.jpg
I ordered the whole kit w/ screw, must be an error. I got 8 sets and all are in the same numbered bags with non-stepped needle.

Back