BS34 carb rubber jet plugs

birdog4549

81 XS-H Special II
Reaction score
the rubber jet plugs inside the carbs were soft like mush and one was like old chewing gum. are there replacements from someone or does anyone have a "hack" to replace them. I had the bike sitting for about 18 months and the gas turned to varnish and when I pulled the carbs out and removed the bowls the rubber plugs were soft and one was not useable. Besides replacements can anyone tell me what happened.

The plugs turning to mush or otherwise falling apart isn't rare Mikuni, and Yamaha sell them so do some flea bayers, prolly mikesXs also. Some carb kits include them. Not aware of any "hardware store" hacks for them. Spent some quality time on my hands and knees looking for one from a Keihin carb yesterday, finally found it stuck in a carb cranny.

I came up with a hardware hack.
I went to mower shop bought some tygon fuel line that would just fit inside the jet tube then I left the tygon sticking out top of tube the same as OEM plug does.
I took a short flat head counter sunk screw that would screw inside the tygon and expand it slightly to seal it. the carb top will hold it in place just as it did the OEM plug.

It's not the money it's the wait, with a carb apart on the bench that you want back together to try! Especially if you have found an AHA! "smoking gun" on why it wasn't running right.

Nice fix there IamC! or IamC2 whoever you are... Were you ever a farmer?

It's not the money it's the wait, with a carb apart on the bench that you want back together to try! Especially if you have found an AHA! "smoking gun" on why it wasn't running right.

Nice fix there IamC! or IamC2 whoever you are... Were you ever a farmer?

I did some micro farming on the ranch I worked on in the 80s .

I agree the wait was why I came up with the fix.
I was riding and right cylinder quit firing.
When I got home did a quick check for problem.
It was fuel related, pulled the carbs low and behold my rubber plugs were the same as OP little black marshmallows. had some tygon for weedeater and the rest is history.

The benefits of having a forum for a resource when you want to do the work on your own is so nice. I have plugs on the way! Then I can tackle the charging issue with some help from Gary. Looking forward to meeting you

I did some micro farming on the ranch I worked on in the 80s ...

We're seein' a lot of that out here.
ridetractor.jpg

Back