BS34 Carbs - Where did this rubber washer come from?

bwthor

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I pulled the carbs all apart, carefully setting the parts aside. Cleaned everything up, checked all passages and started assembling. About half way through, I looked down and these two rubber washers appeared, and I have no idea where they are supposed to go. They are in the lower right of the pic.

I just can't figure out where these came from. They are the same outer diameter as the brass washers between the main jet and the brass venturi tube, but have a slightly larger inside diameter. About the same thickness. They are flexible, and I'd guess made of rubber.

I've looked at a few diagrams, but I'm missing something.

Thanks in advance!
img_20170827_190135-jpg.105253

Attachments

• IMG_20170827_190135.jpg
    IMG_20170827_190135.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 456
the 2 Black Plugs go over the pilot jet hole next to the main jet before the float bowl goes back on .... the washers ? I am not positive perhaps under the main jet ? I really am not sure... might be under the choke plunger cap too.
....look through the Technical section on this site under Forums/garage/XS650 technical reference you should find your answers there under carburetors....
Bob.....

Thanks for the reply Bob K. I actually didn't remove the carb plungers, so they can't be from there. Yeah, the rubber plugs go in the pilots, and the bowl drain plugs in the picture have their washer still in place. These rubber washers would be too small for them.

I just got back to it now, and checked under the needle seat assembly, and they aren't from there either. I'm stumped.

I don't remember seeing washers like that in mine.... did you look at the exploded diagram of the carbs ?
......if you don't see them in the exploded diagram of the carbs they don't belong in there anyway ! LOL
Bob........

the needle seats ( that are removable and have an O-ring around them and a screen on the inside end are not that well known....
and should be cleaned also.... but as far as washers that are Ruber???? I'm stumpped too !
Bob.....

That was my guess too TwoMany. Looking at the rubber plug, I could see some white scale about the same thickness of the washers. They seemed to fit just right there too, so I put them together. Too late for a ride, but I'm pretty sure that is where they came from. I've looked on a bunch of different diagrams, but not seeing anything.

I guess I also didn't mention this is a 1980 Special if that matters.

You can see it in the attached fuzzy picture.
IMG_20170827_221748.jpg

Can't see how that would help.....looks like one of the plugs has lost the ridge where it sits neat in the hole......

Bob you should know the difference between 38's and 34's by now

One tip, when you have two things take them apart one at a time, so you can use the other as a guide to put it back together.

I'm not familiar with BS34s. Isn't there a protruding post in the bowl that presses against the plug. And this plug appears to have a long-term indentation, preventing full pressure to seal the pilot opening?

The plugs harden and the permanent dimple is part of that. If you wanted you could try soaking them for a few hours in a paper cup of silicone spray.

I wonder if someone fitted them to the rubber plugs, thinking that would make them thicker, and press harder against the pilot openings...

Methinks the washers would be better served if they were superglued on top of the rubber plugs....lol
Time for some new plugs. Could turn them to where the bowl would hold them down on a fresh exposure for the interim.

Yes, it's a tapered plug that wedges into the hole. Now, with a washer on it, it's shimmed out and may not be plugging the hole like it should. I'm all for fixing up old stuff but some shit just needs replacing.

the 2 Black Plugs go over the pilot jet hole next to the main jet before the float bowl goes back on .... the washers ? I am not positive perhaps under the main jet ? I really am not sure... might be under the choke plunger cap too.
....look through the Technical section on this site under Forums/garage/XS650 technical reference you should find your answers there under carburetors....
Bob.....
yes I have the same carb inners. the black rubbers go over the pilot jets and the brass washers go on before you put in your main jets.

Back