BS34 choke question

ramairgtz

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Is the choke supposed to stay out on it's own on bs34 carbs? When I let my lever go the choke pulls back in and just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

You probably are missing something, the small ball and spring that retains the choke rod in the open and half open positions .....

ChokeBall-Spring.jpg

You are probably correct. I don't remember taking that stuff off when I cleaned the carbs and everything was labeled in bags. I'll take a look at them when I get home tonight

If you had the choke rod removed, the ball can fall out and get lost without you even realizing it. It's very small, barely an eighth inch diameter. The spring usually stays put but could also fall out. You can use the spring and ball from a grease fitting to replace them.

Thanks for the info I did a search but couldn't come up with anything. I looked on mikesxs for the parts but they don't sell them so looks like I'll be tearing apart a grease fitting

Each carb gets one but you can get away with only using one. The choke rod just won't "detent" and be retained as strongly. Stick grease in the hole before inserting the spring and ball to help retain them while you insert the rod.

Just a tip. Use a small flat screwdriver to assit in replacing the rod. For instance, if you are putting the rod in from the left, insert the screwdriver from the right and push down on the ball. Then as you push the rod through, slowly pull out the screwdriver. This allows the rod to "pop" over the ball without it becoming dislodged.

I did the same thing as littlebill suggested, but I used a small allen wrench instead. Same premise. Bike Bandit does list the ball and spring, but it comes out to about $10 per carb for the spring and ball.

Kent

I pulled the rod out and used a spring and ball from a grease fitting just like 5twins said and it worked great! Thanks a bunch for the info

Back