BS38 carb left side leak

cjrenick

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just cleaned and put my '72 carbs back on bike. It is leaking fuel out of the left side where the tube goes into the carb. This is what the manual calls the fuel pipe that connects the two carbs with the coiled wire wrapped around its length. To me this seems like a float issue, but I set the height according to spec. Any other ideas? If float height is correct would the fuel level even be up to the level of that tube? I know people have talked about issues with left side carb leaking out due to bike leaning to that side on kick stand.

If that is your fuel crossover between carbs then float height will have no affect on it. That's part of the fuel line plumbing before it gets to the float valve. The nipple is just pressed into the carb body. Maybe it's come loose and needs to be (gently) tapped back in.

Well I found the problem. The PO used what looks to be like sheet metal screws to put the bowl back onto the carb body in 2 of the 4 holes. He must of stripped them out and used those screws to fix it:banghead:. Know they are stripped and that is where the leak was coming from. What would be the best way to fix this problem? I was thinking I could go up a size or two and just retap it.

I might try a Heli-coil or most any brand of thread repair kit so you use the stock size screws, then use Allen head scews.
Leo

Back