BS38cv & unipods

2BallCane

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello, so I have replaced my destroyed air box with unifilter foam pods, and read on the package that I should increase my jet size on my BS38 carbs. Anyone have an idea of what size I should go to?

Hello, so I have replaced my destroyed air box with unifilter foam pods, and read on the package that I should increase my jet size on my BS38 carbs. Anyone have an idea of what size I should go to?
Id put a few miles on it and read the plugs before I made any jetting decisions.

It’s all about air fuel ratio. I think it’s 14:1
Pod filters let more air in, so you’ll need more fuel.
I had made a slip on pipe with a welded bung. Have a gauge set up. Never did finish it. Haha These carbs work in a series. Idle first. There’s a chart on here if you search. If you’re idle is fine, doesn’t mean the mains are ok. Sorry if I insulted your intelligence. Also these carbs are decades old. Don’t assume they have the right parts inside. I just found missing orings in a set. Took a good long while to figure this out.

It’s all about air fuel ratio. I think it’s 14:1
Pod filters let more air in, so you’ll need more fuel.
I had made a slip on pipe with a welded bung. Have a gauge set up. Never did finish it. Haha These carbs work in a series. Idle first. There’s a chart on here if you search. If you’re idle is fine, doesn’t mean the mains are ok. Sorry if I insulted your intelligence. Also these carbs are decades old. Don’t assume they have the right parts inside. I just found missing orings in a set. Took a good long while to figure this out.
I'm aware of the need for more fuel in regards to the higher air flow associated with the unifilter, but I was looking to see if anyone had already done the work and determined the best sizes to use.

I'm aware of the need for more fuel in regards to the higher air flow associated with the unifilter, but I was looking to see if anyone had already done the work and determined the best sizes to use.

There's no straightforward answer to this.
I just rebuilt my Bs34's with standard new jets etc... All seems good so far on a few short test runs. It just trial and error to get this right in your climate and altitude etc.....
I've not put many miles on my bike and winter has arrived. So now it's a rewire and back to carbs in the spring.

Yes. There’s a carb guide in the tech section. Plus if you use the “search forums”, you can find alot. Patience and how you word the search

Have to take into consideration other aspects of you bike as well and not just the change to uni-filters. Muffler and or header pipe change. What set of carbs are you using. BS38's changed every 2 years between 70-79. Needles and needle jets varied a lot between sets and this altered the jetting so some carb sets require a bigger change in jet sizes with the same alteration to the bike. Not uncommon the find the carbs from different years put onto other years/model. Say a 76/77 set on a 78/79 model or the other way round..........pays to identify the carbs and not assume they are the right ones for that model

Yes, you'll need to positively I.D. the year of your carb set and then base the re-jetting on what came stock in that particular set. You base your jetting and/or re-jetting on the year of the carb set, not the year of the bike.

Yes, you'll need to positively I.D. the year of your carb set and then base the re-jetting on what came stock in that particular set. You base your jetting and/or re-jetting on the year of the carb set, not the year of the bike.
How can you tell what carb is what year?

Do not be dismayed with the information that has come at you here. 1. ride then read your plugs. New plugs are cheap, put a set in and put 30 or 100 miles on them. 2. If you have no color or almost no color you are running a touch lean. If you have a light to darker tan, worry about something else. If you have black you are running to rich. Then go to the guys on this forum who know about this stuff, I am still learning.

Yes, there are little "tells" on the various carb sets so if you can show us some pics of yours, we can probably help I.D. them for you.

Trash 065.JPG

Attachments

• Trash 020.JPG
    Trash 020.JPG
    331.8 KB · Views: 89
  • Trash 027.JPG
    Trash 027.JPG
    292.6 KB · Views: 86
  • Trash 033.JPG
    Trash 033.JPG
    308.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Trash 025.JPG
    Trash 025.JPG
    312.1 KB · Views: 88
No, that's a '74-'75 set. The "tells" are the #120 butterfly plates and the lowered floors in the main bores. '73 and older carbs use #125 butterfly plates and have a raised floor in the main bore .....

EarlyRaisedFloor.jpg

AusCarbI.D..jpg

And because of that raised floor, '73 and older carbs use a longer needle jet .....

LongZ-6.jpg

'74 and later carbs use a shorter needle jet .....

NeedleJets.JPG

No, that's a '74-'75 set. The "tells" are the #120 butterfly plates and the lowered floors in the main bores. '73 and older carbs use #125 butterfly plates and have a raised floor in the main bore .....

View attachment 208987

View attachment 208988

And because of that raised floor, '73 and older carbs use a longer needle jet .....

View attachment 208989

'74 and later carbs use a shorter needle jet .....

View attachment 208990

Your right. My bad. I was looking at the bottoms, (bowls) and not the inlet. Corrected earlier post

74/75 carbs i got from a 74TXA. I was basing my post on these and i think the bowls are from a set of 76/77.
P1030230.JPG

Last edited:
Bowls are '78-'79 because they have no hose nipples for the overflow pipe. In fact, if you look inside, you'll see that's because they don't have an overflow pipe, lol. It seems that in '78 when Yamaha came out with the vacuum petcocks, they figured we didn't need an overflow tube in the float bowls anymore because those fancy new petcocks would never over-fill the bowls. Well, that may have been fine 40 years ago when they were new and functioning properly. Today, not so much, lol.

Back