BS38's Correct?

sou1f1y33

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
From reading the carb guide and looking at pictures I am pretty sure these are BS38's. looking for a second opinion before I order jets.

Going for some Uni's and eventually exhaust. Think I will be good to go with 140 Mains and 30 or 35 Pilots? (Sorry, I couldn't get the picture right side up)

Thanks again,
Brad

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 69
Yeah they are 38's. If they are 78-79(which I think they are) I've got new Mikuni jets if you need them. 30, 32.5, and 35 pilots, and 140 mains. $5 a pair.

Wow you guys are good, they are from a 79 Special. The bike runs pretty good now but I want to clean the carbs because I think something is sticking in it because sometimes at idle it will rev up to about 3000 and sit there but if I tap the carb it will comes back down to about 1200. Not sure if it is the throttle or carbs.

Were it me I would remove clean and oil the throttle cable til you are sure it is free. Cable routing can be an issue also. After that is done I would suggest checking the slides for free action. With the air cleaners removed you can reach in raise and let the slides fall they should fall fairly quickly and smoothly if you place a finger over the obong port at the top of the intake then raise and drop the slide the slide should fall quite slowly and both sides should drop at about the same rate. IMHO it is always best if possible to get a stock bike running perfectly before changing anything then you know you have a good baseline and know that only what you have just changed is where the issue lies.

If you have the carbs off I would remove the tops and swab the pistons and bores with a gentle solvent and a rag. Mineral spirits is a good choice. NO sand paper or harsh solvents, be very careful with the diaphragms, no solvent or rough handling should touch them. They should be checked against a bright light for pin holes or splits. The carb guide is your friend you should study it and read it till you understand it BEFORE starting in on the carbs. Good luck and please report your results here?

Back