BSA Seat on a XS650

Johnny Glass

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
The other night I was at a friends shop where I store my XS heritage special. I had trimmed the seat pan and foam down because I did not like the stepped up seat. I re-upholstered the seat with some fabric I had from another project. I really just wanted to see if I could do it myself, and how it would look. Turned out none to good:
mine16.jpg

But if you look in the back of that photo their is a BSA with a repop a65 seat. I grabbed the seat and set it on the bike just to see how it would look, and I think it looked rather well:
mine17.jpg

mine18.jpg

There should be very little fabbing to make it work. So off to Flea-bay I went to find my own bsa seat. I ended up winning this one that will need re-upholstered when I receive it.
mine19.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pics but all I have is my phones camera.

Has anyone else tried this? I've some searching both on this forum and with the google machine and came up with nothing? Once I figure it out I will post more pics.

I've got a '79 seat on my '83. Anything can be made to work with a little ingenuity.
I removed all the upper prrotuberances from the rail, fabbed a fiberglass pan to fit the rail and then fabbed the '79 seat to fit the glass pan.

The good thing about this is I'll be able to unbolt the original mounting brackets off the old seat pan. Then I hope to be able to bolt them right up to the bsa seat pan. If the pan is the same as my buddy's repop, I should be able to mount it up just like the factory seat. I hope so anyway.

Back