wonky seat (new!)

nesster

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I asked an upholsterer to re-do the seat on our 1972 XS2 (just purchased!) as the foam had turned to yellow powder and it was disgusting.
He called a few days later said "the pan is rotten-can't do it". I ordered a new seat from XSDirect and it sure looked sweet when it arrived. After install, I see the back looks wonky. (see attached) contacted XS Direct to let them know it's going back. Question: has anyone else had such experience?
Also, I intend on glassing the old seat pan (next winter) and salvaging it perhaps...anyone done that? -Chris in Barrie, ON

Attachments

• 20230624_204233_HDR.jpg
    20230624_204233_HDR.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 20230624_204320_HDR.jpg
    20230624_204320_HDR.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 61
I've used several seats from yamahaxs650.com MAYBE??? (same stock) and they've been fine. The seat sitting crooked is an XS thing, sometimes takes some finaggling with hinges and bumpers on the hinged seats to get them to sit level.

Last edited:
I've used several seats from yamahaxs650.com (same stock) and they've been fine. The seat sitting crooked is an XS thing, sometimes takes some finaggling with hinges and bumpers on the hinged seats to get them to sit level.
I've had the same experience with a couple of the 70-73 seats from yamahaxs650.com (same part #).
HOWEVER -- the ones from yamahaxs650.com have "YAMAHA" printed in GOLD lettering on the back, not White, like yours. So, yours must have come from a different production run. I'd return yours, and buy one from yamahaxs650.com, if they ship to Canada.

I've had the same experience with a couple of the 70-73 seats from yamahaxs650.com (same part #).
HOWEVER -- the ones from yamahaxs650.com have "YAMAHA" printed in GOLD lettering on the back, not White, like yours. So, yours must have come from a different production run. I'd return yours, and buy one from yamahaxs650.com, if they ship to Canada.
Thanks. It did take some work to get it to fit properly...loosening the pan bolts makes it easier. But it is really fudged at the back as you can see. It's going back, just waiting to hear from them etc. The quality is good, just, they screwed up the metal band at the back-a shame. -Chris

Thanks. It did take some work to get it to fit properly...loosening the pan bolts makes it easier. But it is really fudged at the back as you can see. It's going back, just waiting to hear from them etc. The quality is good, just, they screwed up the metal band at the back-a shame. -Chris
They should be ashamed shipping something that looks like that. Make sure they cover shipping costs both ways.

Back