Buell motorcycles coming back?

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
But without Eric Buell, what gives? :shrug: Supposedly in four years they will release 10 new models with four new motors. They’re even planning an adventure tourer. Anyone think it will happen?
Anyone?........
D8397ECE-97CC-4194-8548-3A72BE44A85D.gif

Buell without Eric Buell is just a name with an HD V-Twin crammed in it. Had a Thunderbolt 20 years ago, I miss that bike. It was a wheelie machine.

"At the end of the day, it’s just a brand name. At one time it stood for innovation, but it was parked by H-D for 12 years. Time will tell what becomes of it next. In the big picture what has always driven me is getting American disruptive and diverse thinking into the global motorcycle world. It’s most important to do this with electric now, which is where invention and radical thinking is most needed. I’ve never been nostalgic...the future is where engineers should live!"

I'm not surprised. Then again, I have some small personal experience in motorcycles generally, Eric Buell, briefly, and the Buell brand professionally.

Eric always has been thinker, tinker, engineer, and engineering anarchist.

Only to change the subject the slightest bit. What does anyone know about Bill Melvin? Just a thought...

It'll be interesting, Liquid Asset Management AKA Bill Melvin that liquidated the Buell assets also bought the remains of EBR (Erik's last motorcycle company) Now bought the rights to the Buell brand from HD (they're scrabbling for cash) His company has been hand building a few EBR's from the parts inventory.. Guess we can assume he knows something about corporate finance. Non compete agreements don't last forever right Erik? Erik's tied in with Fuell, a completely separate company manufacturing in the far east. Not sure how deep he is in that company.
A ground up motorcycle company is a big deal with the complexity of modern vehicle manufacturing and regulation. Amost has to be some other corporate involvement. I'd be just guessing a SE Asian conglomerate? AKA Norton Triumph and Royal Enfield.
Rotax probably key also, they provided the 1125 motor that was also the basis of the EBR 1190 motor..
Their engine range kinda dovetails with that announcement.
https://www.roadracingworld.com/new...OdDvd0PHRJ2Xyyy2RWs3YxbjAGq07yuYPyKOxcmulzla0
https://www.buellmotorcycle.com/
If nothing else it should be fun to watch.
In my opinion The EBR was a race bike chained into street clothes and was not happy there.

Last edited:
It'll be interesting seeing what they come up with. As for EV stuff, they have the power, but batteries are holding them back. And it's going to take more than a change in battery chemistry to make the gap between ICE and EV shrink.

It's going to be hard to replicate the visceral feel of a motorcycle in an appliance. I know there are high performance EVs but if I am not hearing the exhaust note and feeling the pistons going up and down I am uninterested.

It's going to be hard to replicate the visceral feel of a motorcycle in an appliance. I know there are high performance EVs but if I am not hearing the exhaust note and feeling the pistons going up and down I am uninterested.
You’ve got that right! Add to that, it has to have a clutch that I operate myself. The same is true for cars. You cannot sell me on a sports car with an automatic transmission. I may be too old to matter, but baby boomers will be here for a while yet.

Glad to see Erik setting the record straight. I met him sometime in 2002-03 While I was student at MMI. At that time Beull was selling a lot of bikes and MMI had a Beull class as part of the HD curriculum I was lucky enough to go through the first Beull class offered. This was at that time the only school recognized by HD as providing "factory authorized" training and producing "factory authorized" techs. So the inaugural Beull class was a big enough deal to the company that they sent Erik to come spend 2 days with us as a brand ambassador and technical expert. He was super nice guy with lots of enthusiasm for motorcycles and fostering new techs entering the field. He could pontificate for HOURS on frame geometry, weight placement, and exhaust back pressure modulation. I have a Polaroid somewhere of Erik and I standing behind my 2000 Thunderbolt that he thought I should put the stock exhaust back on. I also met Jesse James as he was known to frequent MMI to recruit techs for his rapidly expanding business (at that time) but my mother always told me If I didn't have anything nice to say than I shouldn't say anything at all. So I'll just keep my mouth shut about Mr. James.

That was a good read, I’ve always thought he was a true innovator who just never got the breaks he deserved. I didn’t realize they were developing electric motorcycles, I thought he was just designing bicycles. I wonder if they will design a motorcycle for the common guy who doesn’t need or want a race bike for $30,000.

I met him sometime in 2002-03 While I was student at MMI. At that time Beull was selling a lot of bikes and MMI had a Beull class as part of the HD curriculum

That would’ve been cool to meet him, I’ve always admired his out of the box thinking. I have only ever ridden one Buell, that was the Ulysses. That bike fit my sensibilities, it had good power, comfortable and great handling. The only thing I didn’t like was the sky high seat and the rear jug cooling fan which was really loud.

I have only ever ridden one Buell, that was the Ulysses. That bike fit my sensibilities, it had good power, comfortable and great handling. The only thing I didn’t like was the sky high seat and the rear jug cooling fan which was really loud.
I always really liked the XB platform, to this day I still want a lightning. But I'm long out of my sport bike phase and probably wouldn't ride it much. But I think they were one of the sexiest looking modern bikes ever made.

Back