Build a GB500 Lookalike

afactor2

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
My interest with the Honda GB started with my test drive of a Kawasaki about two years ago. When I returned from the test drive a customer was collecting his GB. One look and I knew what I wanted, and it certainly was not a Kawasaki. Considering my history with Honda products, five Honda vehicles currently driving a Prelude, the choice was obvious.
Unfortunately for me and others the economy went south and so did our jobs and disposable incomes. So I am sitting and looking at photos of the GB and thinking what is bugging me about this bike, the chrome rear shocks are defiantly taking away from the lines and the front end is a bit cluttered. I looked up the specs and realized that it had 38 HP, respectable but not fantastic, and considering that to purchase this bike and only ride it in the local streets was not my intention. I wanted a machine that looked like it something from the sixties to drive today.A little about the author, Andrey Factor, ME. I have always had the "according to Dilbert The NACK ". Starting at an early age with flying models, moving on to building custom bicycles, with a brief stint in junior college of business and computer science and a quick fall back option of a trade school education in automotive repair I finally completed a BSE in automotive engineering minoring in manufacturing. Since graduation in 1996 from University of Minnesota at Mankato I have worked for quite a few companies, testing designing developing and manufacturing a variety of "automotive/ transportation"related products. Along the way I picked up and got quite good at machining, welding, sensors, data mining, and microelectronics, most important I was able to really learn such useful design programs as SolidWorks and CATIA V5. Once you have one others, like Pro E, Rhino and the like are quite easy to master as they all have similar principals. Well consider the fact that I had been using AutoCAD from release 9 bask in 1989 I have a bit of a design as well as R&D background.

So i am attaching some work I am doing based on the Honda XR. XL and NX Honda's
I also have Blog at http://hondacafecad.blogspot.com/
:D:thumbsup:

Attachments

• Honda GB600XR.JPG
    Honda GB600XR.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 191
As the original is a Honda Product and even though i do prefer power and flexibility of the XS 650 an XR or XL 600 engine is more in line with the economics as i am trying to do the first one on a minimal budget. I do have design in file for an aluminum Drixten and a fram. once I have the tank and fidly bits worked out.

Back