Build a Honda GB500 TT lookalike

gentlemanjim

More Wrenchin than Ridin
Reaction score
In the current issue of Motorcylce Classics I was reding about the Honda GB500 and realized what a stunning bike this is and how it would make a perfect build project on a XS650. More power, twin cylinders, tons of aftermarket support. The only stumbling block is the fuel tank. That is the defining component of this bikes style. I've plent of references for cafe style fuel tanks, but I'd like to find a nearly exact match. Any thoughts to this project and what would be the right fuel tank? Picture that style with our illustrious verticle twin and Ascott style pipes!

GB500.jpg

How about the XJ650 seca tank, just looking back at some of my old projects, might be worth a look.

Attachments

• MASTER CYLINDER.JPG
    MASTER CYLINDER.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 219
Naw the XJ doesn't look right. I did a project a few months ago and used the XS750 standard which I liked, but now I want to as close as possible to replicate the GB500 look.

IMG_1888.jpg

The closest you'll come to Honda tank would be XJ600 and maybe the whole seat arrangement.

Look at the mid 8s to low 9s. Go to the Xs Dutch forum and browse the Photo albums of cafes I believe,it's there somewhere showing an XS with XJ600 armor,great looking motorcycle.

Jim, here's an XS650 with a 1980-81 GS 450E (or 450S) tank. I like this bike a lot.

Attachments

• P1000984.jpg
    P1000984.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 307
The closest you'll come to Honda tank would be XJ600 and maybe the whole seat arrangement.

Look at the mid 8s to low 9s. Go to the Xs Dutch forum and browse the Photo albums of cafes I believe,it's there somewhere showing an XS with XJ600 armor,great looking motorcycle.
Lots of great ideas from all.

Jack what do you mean by "Look at the mid 8s to low 9s". Do you have a link to the Dutch forum?

Beau that Guzzi tank is awesome, but very big as I recall.

Tech7 - the GS is quite shart as well.

Gonna try and find a XJ600 - is that a Seca II, diversion or a radian?

I've always fancied those Seca II's, but they have a twin spar frame not an easy fit on a single backbone frame, but can be Done. Not a GB look a like unfortunately.

Lots of great ideas from all.

Jack what do you mean by "Look at the mid 8s to low 9s". Do you have a link to the Dutch forum?

Beau that Guzzi tank is awesome, but very big as I recall.

Tech7 - the GS is quite shart as well.

Gonna try and find a XJ600 - is that a Seca II, diversion or a radian?

eighties and nineties for the XJ600........I'll be back shortly with the links.

This is dope.

whitehouse8negro8.jpg

maybe you can see if you can find measurements of late model nighthawks. or the later 750's by honda.

windowslivewriterhondacb750nighthawkspecs1992-10ba1cb750-2.jpg

honda_cb_750_f_1980_2.jpg

although they don't look as tall as the GB tanks, I think it looks better =]. Come to think of it, the GB tanks look similar to old airhead tanks...

Back