Build Thread: Rat Dirt Rider

Dakota_Lew

XS650 Agronomist
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am a lurker on these forums for years now but never posted any of my builds on here since I am lazy and a build normally takes me a 1-2 years. I got my first XS 650 barn find in march 2011, fell in love with it obviously and now am die hard XSer. I am all done and up to painting right now with that build, but it’s on hold since I am getting hitched… oops. With that said I have sold off every motorcycle (3) I had built besides the XS to pay for the whole shebang, plus “who really needs 4 cycles?!” (quote by my future wife). Well I live way out in the middle of the Badlands of North Dakota and there is pretty much gravel and more gravel and miles of gravel after that… I drive a dirt bike around all the time to check fields (farmer). So I sold my dirt bike off as well (KX450F) Great bike, had a lot of fun on it, but since that is a tool I needed for my profession I had to replace it with a cheaper version!

Gave me a great reason to find a new XS!! Yes! So I knew someone who had one in their back, a 1978 special so I went over there and he tried to give it to me, I said no and gave him a 100 bucks for the sake of karma. It was a goofy looking piglet, but styled for the PO. I certainly was not going to ride around on a pink bike. My lady thought it was “cute” so that was an automatic it’s getting a face lift. On the plus it has good compression, the frame isn’t chopped up, bearings seem to be good, ironically the chain and sprockets are newish and in good condition, and the seat is in good condition.

So here is the plan is a rat rod esq dirt rider on a budget. Since I don’t have the funds to make her look pretty (already have a pretty cafe) going to go for a more Raw look, and when I lay it over in the field by accident it will add to the character of the bike! I have a ton of XS parts lying around from my previous build. So I am going to mix and match where I can and try to save as much money as I can where I can without skimping on reliability. Reliability is the key since I won’t have cell service very often when I am on it! I sold the KX450 to a local farmer for 3k, and my budget for this build is 1k, and 2k to the fund of getting hitched.

Known issues:

Ignition system is Sh!t, stripped pain, Tires are shot!!, Petcocks are leaking, Shocks are shot, Carbs need a rebuild and rejetting, Forks are leaking and need a rebuild (they were repaired with electrical tape by the PO) Starter is shot, and by shot I mean it has melted plastic leaking out of it (wtf!?!). Battery is a block of ice (-5 last night in shop working on it) so its scrap. Mufflers held on with baler wire (seriously) PO put Pods on it and they are smoked and gross!

Improvement’s:

Had a pair of Mikes XS shocks that were 13.5 inch shocks, they were too stiff for my café so I am going to slap them on and test ride with them on before I go out and buy a new pair. Pamco, Iridium plugs, Ultimate Coil, (plug and play). Hugh’s PMA swap, New Battery. Going to drop the starter and plug it off, so its kick only. Oil change and filter change. I had a set of Hugh’s solid riser bushing and a Speedo delete that I used originally on my café then swapped out after test riding. Brass swing arm bushing (lathed myself). fork rebuild on both, not just the one obviously leaking. Carb rejetting for the altitude and pods, drilled (mercury’s mod) and obviously the normal rebuild stuff for carbs. Two new tires, Brigestone TW39 (front) and TW 40 (Rear) Headers painted (high temp) and wrapped and straight piped. Mostly because I don’t want to start a fire in the wheat stubble is why I am wrapping it, also it can be as loud as hell, the only person I will piss off is my old lady leaving the farm yard in the AM. Lastly…new paint! or better yet the lack of it.

Only one last caveat, it needs to be done before spring planting begins (*March 15 ish). So I need to bust this out and not take my sweet ass time like I prefer to do and savior the flavor of the build.

Here are the initial pics of the old girl. Sorry for picture quality, I took the pics in the pheasant cleaning barn when I first drug it home and I didn’t realize how bad they were till after I tore into the bike (opps).

newbike.jpg

frontdbd.jpg

sideshotz.jpg

rearshot.jpg

picture002mrw.jpg

picture010wv.jpg

Last edited:
Update:

Well I stripped the bike to the bones, left the engine in and some of the other stuff I don’t have plans to mess with. My plan is still to go with a ratty look so I am going to leave the frame alone and all its blemishes. I took a steam pressure washer and cleaned the engine up. Took 30 plus years of grim off the bottom of the bike. I am shocked out how well it cleaned up. Even found some baked on gum on the engine oddly enough, but she cleaned up decently and still plenty of stuff on there if I was going to nit pick but the majority is off and that’s all I cared about.

To save money I took the original headers that were in decent shape structurally, visually they looked to been threw the meat grinder so I ruffed them up the best I could with some 80 grit sand paper then proceeded to give them a few coats of BBQ black paint. I did that just to try and protect them a little more. I then took 2 inch header wrap and… well wrapped them. I still need to build some flares to get the exhaust away from me and the frame but that’s a project for when I feel like dealing with my archaic pipe bender from god knows what era.

headerswrapped.jpg

I then pulled the starter and press fit in the cheap starter delete with a little Honda bond. God that was an easy fix, I was fretting it a little but got a big socket and just tapped it right in. I tested the starter to see if it worked after i pulled it out with a battery… nope.

starterdelete.jpg

I completely disassembled my carb’s and used some pinsol against my better judgment but I was really curious… I soaked them and what a complete bloody disaster! It worked but the acidity left a very strange metal dusty film on stuff. I pulled them out and immediately put two and two together and gave them a dunk in some baking soda with water to neutralize the acid. 4 bottles of carb cleaner and 200 gallons of compressed air later I think I got them clean enough. I feel pretty stupid, I have an advanced degree in Chemistry, I of all people should know better.

I think they are okay so, I rejetted them to 135 for pods and my elevation. Either way they will need some fine tuning. They are on the bike now though.

rebuildingcarbs.jpg

Slapped in some of Hughs Bushings. Fit like a glove as expected

newriserbushing.jpg

I pulled the oil filter's to just replace it regardless of its condition… and wow what a shocker… oh wait that’s not a shocker it just business as usual, honestly what a bad design these were.

bustedoilfilter.jpg

I always thought those brass kickers some of the shops sell were really cool, but couldn’t justify the 100 bucks they wanted. So I made my own for 34 dollars and a few left over hardware from other projects using just a drill, bench grinder, and a welder . I think it turned out great!

brasskicker.jpg

Last edited:
I have been thinking of heading in this direction when I finally get around to putting mine back together. I've been building this bike for about 5 years now cause other stuff keeps getting in the way. I started out wanting to build a tracker but now thats been done alot and besides I sold an extra XS to a buddy and he built one nice enough to be in Motorcycle Classics so thats out. Then I was going to build a cafe racer but in the meantime I bought a Thruxton and I am now cafe'ing my old R90. Then I thought Brat but don't like the swayed rear frame section everyone is using now. So lets see how this goes. Some longer shocks and the V-strom bars I've been hoarding might be the ticket. Scramble on brother.

Yea, Choppers, Bobbers, and brats have never been my personal thing, but some guys have made them really sharp i admit. I love the cafe's, a certain "jena se qua" about them. I was thinking about trying to find a decent bubble seat out there for this one, still playing with the idea, plus I would like to throw my wife on the back every now and then to check crops and go to town for supper every now and then. Will see though she aint to keen on the idea at the moment haha.

This is the electrical schematic I have decided to go with, I am just going to use a battery though since I have one instead of the sparx, but that doesn't effect the schematic. Credit on the schematic goes to MiniDanzig on these forums.

simplifiedWiring_fuseblock.jpg

Last edited:
Hi again.

I got some more stuff done over the weekend. I rebuilt both forks, one was leaking something fierce and the other one I didn't think needed it but... I rebuilt them both anyways. They were both cobbled together with electrical tape, which in a bind works I suppose. I replaced all the seals, washers, new dust covers, and ended with some gaiters. I kept the finish (Raw) that was on them since they will have plenty of grass, wheat stubble, and junk rubbing up against them. I wanted a little bit stiffer rider so I put in 15W fork oil, I may end up taking that out and putting in 20W if its still not as stiff as I want. That can be tweaked at later date. I am not going to post a pic of the forks... because we all know what they look like haha.

I also finished stripping and repainting the wheels, the PO did one hell of a decent paint job on the wheels to begin with so it was a nightmare to get off. I used the classic air craft stripper and a wire brush and went to town. I ended up getting fed up and took the soda blaster to a few spots I just couldn't get. I then painted them Flat black and tapped off the outer ring to give some contrast. I think they turned out great with the TW39/40's on the rims. I am debating on at a later date drilling out the rotors but I haven't sold myself on that yet, I am afraid I will get some small rocks in there and score the hell out of the calipers and rotors. Once again this bike will see pavement 20% of the time so.

wheelsandtires.jpg

I was sitting there last Friday and was thinking I really didn't want that exhaust blowing all over the back end off the headers. I had used the original stock headers and just refurbished them slightly, so I took some 1 3/4 exhaust pipe and bent them to a 90 and then chopped them at a 45 and thickened the end to slide over the end of the stock header which was 1 3/4 inch +/-. Took me about 5 minutes and was pleased with how they turned out. I BBQ painted them, which I am sure will be chipped off by rocks but meh its a step in the right direction. I then parted back the header wrap and slide them on and secured them with header plug dope which is a GIANT cheese ball move but hey it worked! Once they are cured I will wrap the header wrap on them and you wont be able to even see the seam. 2 dollar fix! Here is a pic of the tips in the raw state after manufacturing them out.

exhasuttip.jpg

Since I am trying to build this on the cheap I don't have plans to paint the tank all fancy like I normally would so I decided to take a very harsh wire brush and strip the paint off the tank and get a raw finish that was archaic, I wasn't going for a "jeweled" look just random. After it was stripped I just clear coated it and put the original side emblems back on it. The pictures below don't do is justice, but I tried to get a few decent pics of it but it was hard in the light conditions I had, plus might of been a few beers down. :wink2: While I think the tank is great, I am not sure it will work on the bike, I may take it and do some taping and add some flat black paint to it or maybe even a little pin stripping. Will see but its good enough for now until the bike starts going back together, and who knows it may be awesome.

gastankside.jpg

gastanktop.jpg

Tomorrow I am hoping if time is kind to me I will get the electrical started and mount the tires on the bike! The nitty gritties are out of the way now so time for the good stuff!

Ha! Nah, I couldn't bring myself to keep them as is. Although they were a decent paint job, I just couldn't bring myself to be rallying around with pink wheels.

nice shot of your other xs behind the tank with hammerhead shocks and a drilled rotor!

I like where this build is headed.

Where did you get your front Trailwing from? I was looking for one and was quoted $80 from my local guy who is usually close to internet prices. I thought I only paid around $60 for the rear last year. I might try a Shinko if I cant find a better deal.

Thanks, yea the other XS in the background is what my family refers to as my mistress. Its got all the bells and whistles, and lots of tiny details. I got to fix my own shotty wiring job on the horn and she is done besides a paint job on the tank and bubble seat. Just waiting on when I have some funds to get a decent paint job. All in due time on that bike, I am taking my sweet ass time with her savoring it. If I get a chance I will take get a pic and post it.

On this build the tires I got from JP cycles, I live way out in the middle of the badlands and while Sturgis is a 3 hours away its still to far to drive this time of year to pick up some tires so I am regrettably at the mercy of the internet to source parts and my local hardware store which is pretty much worthless. Then again the hard to source everyday bolts is kind of the fun of it.

Here is the actual link to the tires where I got them from. http://www.jpcycles.com/product/210-0012 and http://www.jpcycles.com/product/210-0013. I am sure you could find cheaper if you looked but I had a credit there for 50 bucks that I wanted to use up and they ship super fast. 80 sounds about right, shinkos are decent too, I just wanted this tread pattern. I normally go with Avon road riders for my street tires, but I have used these before and really like them.

Update: Yesterday I spent all day working on the bike, and got a pile of stuff done.

Spun some brass swing arm bushing and put those in the swing arm. Mounted the wheels and tires on the bike and put on the chain.

I was hoping it would be a simple quick wiring job but when I opened up the headlight basket it was a nightmare! I just ripped it all out and started from scratch instead of fishing threw wires with a multimeter. Got it all plumed right and worked my way from front to back. I used the wiring diagram listed in an earlier post except I wired in a horn instead of neutral light and a battery instead of a sparx.

Went pretty smooth a couple of oops's but that's to be expected. I rearranged the battery box and of course eliminated alot of unnecessary stuff. Instead of a keyed ignition I just hid a 35 amp toggle switch off an old Steiger tractor, I mounted it on the side under the homemade side cover. I am not worried about it getting stolen, but figured it would be wise to have a switch from the battery to disconnect the power source and maybe outsmart a child for a awhile. It worked well and all fit together.

I installed the Pamco and the PMA as well without much issue besides my wrench slipping taking the rotor off and busting my knuckle open on the pavement, but it wouldn't be a good build without bleeding knuckles. My only concern is the advance unit is pretty rusty... I will address this later if needed I have decided. Only thing I didn't get wired was the rear brake light but once I get the seat mounted how I want I will wire in the brake light.

dirtelectricalbox.jpg

dirtside1.jpg

dirtside2.jpg

I couldn't find my TDC Piston stop tool, So I made one on a whim based off what Hugh had done which was a clever fix. Needs a little refining still but the basics are done.

tdcpistonstop.jpg

A new issue has popped up and that is the headlight basic is all wonky and angled weird on the way it is sitting on the forks so I ordered some new ears for it so its secure. Ok well the project is going to sit for a week or so while I travel for work to a "no-till" trade show. Gonna pick up a Honda CT-90 on the way back home possibly for the wife (bahaha!)

Thanks man, I only used just an aggressive wire brush on hand grinder to get that finish. Took me about 30 minutes, my arms were jello after holding on to that grinder for so long though. Then poured some acetone on it to clean it up and followed up with 3-4 coats of clear coat dupli-color I had laying around at the shop to seal in the finish.

Here is a pic of the actual grinder and brush i used to give you an idea of how aggressive the wire brush was.
wirebrush.jpg

Gents, Been sometime since I updated this. Took the family out sking to Big Sky and then down to Terry peak . The wife and I took off to Mexico for a few weeks too. Then been getting stuff ready for the farming season and making sure everything is ready, and been going to quite a few Agricultural conferences.

On the way home from a meeting in Manitoba, I scored a Honda Trail CT90 K4 from 1972! The guy I got it from wanted 20 bucks and told me it didn't run. I got it home polished the points changed the oil and sparkplug and she started right up with a big ploom of smoke. So I restored it on the cheap, basically put new tires, rewired it, and a lot of hand polishing. Now my wife can zip around to town to teach her yoga classes! Even has a luggage rack she can put groceries in! Its awesome, probably doesn't do 30 with my 6 foot 4 ass on it, but her tiny self she got it up to 50 no problem. Below is the before and after pics.

Before
hollieold.jpg

After
holliesnew.jpg

So it's been a busy past 2 months but I did get the XS650 tuned in and running like a top. I had to laugh at myself I kept just putting a tad bit of gas in it and the running around and then running out of gas like an idiot, then wondering why one cylinder would shut down. Get mad and then throw a wrench and come back the next day and discovered it just needed gas... Once I got the stupid out of me, I have been having no problems with it. I put on my ice fishing clothes and took her for a spin in 15 degree weather and she tore up the gravel pretty decently. Even got her off the ground once, only 6 inches but that's still off the ground haha. Below is the final pictures, I will see if I can get some action shots here come this spring when its not so bloody fridged outside.

sideviewqz.jpg

I guess I had the side cover off when I took this pic.
hlewside1.jpg

hlewfront.jpg

hlewrear.jpg

I suppose she turned more into a scrambler when I was done, but so be it, she is a blast to ride! My wife keeps trying to name it, but nothing tends to stick.

Bahaha, thanks, and for the seat!

No it's a 16 inch just a tall tire, I have done the conversion before on another bike, it's not to rough and once you get the kit in front of you it's pretty self explanatory on what yo u need to do. Either way if you have trouble let me know.

Oh neat, what are the tires you're using for it?

Just saw you posted a link to them already. They look great, I might consider a pair.

Yea I like the tires so far, aggressive which is nice for what this cycle will be used for. Granted i haven't put them to the true test yet so take that above comment with a grain of salt. On my cafe and other street bikes I have wrenched on I will only buy Avon Road riders, which they make in a 19 and a 16 inch wheel rim thankfully. They are about as wide as you can go to with rubbing on the chain with an XS 650. Those i can vouch for, damn nice tires.

I am kinda resurrecting this thread, cause after riding this bike for just shy of a year I decided to redo a bunch of it. I originally didn't have any gauges or anything, cause this bike was meant just to rally around in the fields, and out on the gravel. While its still its main purpose, and it has seen many of gravel roads and bare dirt fields i have learned a few lessons.

First I had a short in the PMA and cooked a wire unknowingly and eventually left me 20 miles out in sticks with no phone... Thankfully after about 5 miles of walking, someone drove by and picked me up. The other issues I had was the way I had it setup with a hidden toggle switch under the seat I didn't know if i had juice on or not (no indicator light), so I kept running my battery dead and while it was fine since I had a pma, I still unknowingly froze my battery one night this fall by accidentally leaving it on... I also had this strange surging going on at certain rpm's, not a big deal just bugged me, and it dawned on me it was some odd quivers with the mechanical advance.

Winter hit, and I stripped the wiring completely during "Storm Atlas" in October (which was nasty) I added a Vapor unit with a 1 Mega-ohm resistor on the tach line, and a home made cluster for Neutral light, Power light, and a toggle switch (instead of a key). I also made a bar mount for a voltmeter for obvious reasons. I took out the quivering mechanical advance and put in an E advance in, which has solved all my strange surging issues to date.

Pic gauges. (hard to read the voltmeter in the pic but bright as day in person, but not to bright at night)
IMG_20131212_120515699.jpg

Pic of Fuse Box (used a marine Fuse box)
IMG_20131212_120528794.jpg

Pic of bike as it looks now after a bath.
IMG_20131212_120611856.jpg

I also made a mini paint both for the other projects, which is another XS 650 cafe, and helping my brother in law work on another barn find which is a Yamaha TT 500 (engine in the pics below). Just thought I would throw that out there in case anyone is in similar shoes. It is basically two halves of a square put together, with 2x2 fir frame, I took a paint drop cloth and stapled it on the side and left one side longer on the top to drape over the cherry picker. Finished it up with basic masking tape to seal off the two joining sides. Its not ideal, but better then nothing, and perfect for my ten dollar budget.

IMG_20131212_120251997.jpg

IMG_20131212_120450867.jpg

Back