building my own harness

drewbaby88

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
First of all, what's up guys, been lurking for a while, just now posting. I'll post my build when I'm done. Finished cutting up the frame last night, getting it welded up tomorrow and gonna go through the mock up. Now I have gotten to the point of my build where I need to start building a harness. Where did you guys that wired your own get the wire from? I have found the schematics I wanna use, just need some wire to get this going.

Your local hardware and/or auto parts will have most of it. I had to look around to find orange, believe it or not. I suggest you stick to the stock color code and use the correct gauge of wire, which you probably already knew. Advance Auto Parts is pretty good with electrical stuff, including a good, inexpensive 6-blade fuse block.

Finally, (man I'm sorry, I'm giving you all kinds of unsolicited advice!) run separate grounds for everything, grounding to the frame alone can lead to problems later. Okay, that's my sermon! I hope you enjoyed it, see you next Sunday!

use the stock harness.... way more wire then you need its free and the plugs already match up! i tore my harness apart (its only electrical tape) and took out the plugs and wires i need the best part about doing it this way is theres no guessing or wondering why colors don't match the stupid diagram you printed from the internet!

I used wire I got from an engine harness from a Ford Freestar. It was free and good quality. Plenty of colors. I do not like the wire you get from parts stores or hardware stores. It's kinda cheap, fewer strands, not flexy. Another good place for wire is marinas. Marine wire is usually nice stuff. You can use the wire in the original harness, but, remember, it is still 30 years old. Use as few connectors as possible, and solder everything. Crimp connections are for trailers.

Yeah, I am gonna stay away from the original harness wires because they are 30 yrs old. You guys using looms to put the wire in or just tape it up like the OEM?

Luckily I have an electric store down the street from me with every color wire imaginable. They sell it by the foot and its cheap. Its a good thing my GF's uncle told me about that place cause I would of never of guessed. He has gotten it there to wire a ton of Harleys

use the stock harness.... way more wire then you need its free and the plugs already match up! i tore my harness apart (its only electrical tape) and took out the plugs and wires i need the best part about doing it this way is theres no guessing or wondering why colors don't match the stupid diagram you printed from the internet!
I agree. I did this with my Nighthawk and it made the wiring go smooth.

I did not know wire went bad =P
I'm a electrician and ive seen wire older then bike running machines that build airplanes =)
I just gave the wire a good once over making sure there are no nicks or burn marks

May I step in this mud hole? Here's my two: After umpteen decades working on everything from PBXs, computers, cars, tractors, bikes and houses I've learned that, indeed, wire does get old.

It can get brittle, corrosion can build up INSIDE the insulation (which, oddly, increases resistance) and the insulation can get brittle and 'leak'. Wire is a core pat of your bike's infrastructure and relatively cheap. I suggest fresh wire, always, and agree that you should solder everything and use as few connectors as possible - with dielectric grease on them.

Old connectors are thus also suspect and to be avoided, sadly. Its a neat idea to try and recycle this stuff and I suppose if you're really pinched for bucks you could do it until you have time and money to tear it all out and redo it. Just eyeball it good and be on the lookout for problems.

I like split or spiral loom rather than taping a harness only because I can pull it apart when I want to add or remove something.

BTW, while I'm breezin, solid state components age too. A 30-yo rectifier is likely on the edge of its envelope. And solid state stuff made today is inherently better quality and will live longer than equivalent stuff we made back in the day. I'm sure Pete would agree.

Sorry for the novel. Sometimes I get going.

Tech7, how did you run the wire through the frame. i am running signals,headlight, tail light, and e start( 1981 rec/reg and stator ) I am not hardtailing, just lowering seat rails, but i have cut the original seat rail off the backbone already.

Back