Building out a work shop

I’ve been on the look out for them the last few months at the local warehouse auctions. Defiantly on the list.

Those are not expensive here brand new . At a Hardware / Construction supplier If one can accept the non heavy duty stuff.
if I remember correct the one I Bought last costed less than $ 25 and can hold 150 kg per level

1701223285315.png

It’s been a long wait for you but exciting things are moving along. If I had a few less miles under my belt I think I would rebuild my garage to be bigger and taller. Maybe in my next life. You’ll be sure to enjoy it once it’s done!

hoist rails or at least hoist point are very nice, I can "fly" 900 pounds from one end of shop to the other, which has been somewhat useful for keeping scooter stable on sizzor table, like it can't fall over.

Wish list (for me anyway):
- in floor bike lift
- 2 post car hoist
- epoxy coat floors ****
- washroom
- hardwire internet
- 100A service
- natural gas heater

Will Definitely have a bike lift and at a minimum a sink with hot and cold water.

Going to get a housing system in there but probably not a car one as I’m not a car guy and have no desire to be.

Doesn’t really get cold enough here to warrant a heater and it will be wired for 100A service.

I have been going back and forth with a floor coating and I am thinking I will keep it concrete (but things change).

Making progress, but there was a problem with some welds (caught by the welding inspector I had to hire) so they have to come out and address a few problems before we can get the roof on. A bummer but hopefully finished up next week.

I got my power trenched and I’ll get it finished up next week. I only hit one waterline in the process haha. (It wasn’t supposed to be there ).

IMG_6817.jpeg

IMG_6919.jpeg

IMG_6935.jpeg

IMG_6946.jpeg

IMG_6963.jpeg

Please be careful

Cant se where the right foot is
Should that ladder shift position which it may well do on soft surface it is not so good
High enough and a concrete edge below

1706370351980.png

Please be careful

Cant se where the right foot is
Should that ladder shift position which it may well do on soft surface it is not so good
High enough and a concrete edge below

View attachment 260552

Ha! - that’s not me on the ladder - that’s one of the “trained professionals” that work for the installation company.

The work they did was clean and flawless, it seems they have it down to a science.

Did seem a bit sketchy when they were building the cross bars on the roof but they seem to be in their element climbing around. Definitely not their first rodeo haha.

Well still no roof haha.

Supposed to have a solution proposed tomorrow. We’ll see how that goes. It’s quite fun dealing with all these engineering departments.

Head Make It Stop GIF

Meanwhile I did manage to get the electrical finished some lights up outside between rainstorms.

IMG_6992.jpeg

Here is how the electrician thought the lights should be installed. (Again frustrating)
IMG_7227.jpeg

I redid them on proper blocks.

IMG_7223.jpeg

IMG_7226.jpeg

IMG_7236.jpeg

Anyone care to guess what’s on the trailer under the tarp? Haha. - been looking for one for a while and this one kinda fell in my lap.

We’re currently ungoing another storm at the moment so hopefully next week it’s all finished up and I can start building out the inside.

Well still no roof haha.

Supposed to have a solution proposed tomorrow. We’ll see how that goes. It’s quite fun dealing with all these engineering departments.

Head Make It Stop GIF

Meanwhile I did manage to get the electrical finished some lights up outside between rainstorms.

View attachment 262090

Here is how the electrician thought the lights should be installed. (Again frustrating)
View attachment 262086

I redid them on proper blocks.

View attachment 262087
View attachment 262088

View attachment 262089

Anyone care to guess what’s on the trailer under the tarp? Haha. - been looking for one for a while and this one kinda fell in my lap.

We’re currently ungoing another storm at the moment so hopefully next week it’s all finished up and I can start building out the inside.
It’s a shame when you pay good money to have work done by professionals, but then need to do it over again, to meet your standards. Been there, done that on many jobs from home repair to automotive. Not so much the case anymore since I have a few more years on me, but in my earlier years I would never hire someone to do work I could do myself.

Another problem many of us face is we know a little too much. If you didn’t have this knowledge you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between a job well done and one that’s not up to par.

It’s a shame when you pay good money to have work done by professionals, but then need to do it over again, to meet your standards. Been there, done that on many jobs from home repair to automotive. Not so much the case anymore since I have a few more years on me, but in my earlier years I would never hire someone to do work I could do myself.

Another problem many of us face is we know a little too much. If you didn’t have this knowledge you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between a job well done and one that’s not up to par.

In my daily life I am a contractor (synthetics license). I am on construction sites all day every day. All I do is fix damage caused by other trades haha.

In the state of California in order to be able to claim the value of your construction when selling your property, work must be done by a “licensed professional”. You can do it as an owner on your own property, you just can’t sell it.

Being on construction sites all day I can speak to the low quality workmanship that plagues the trades. It’s a real problem. The mindset is usually, do the absolutely lowest quality work one can get away with and fix it if called out on it.

I didn’t really want the electrician to mount the lights, just rough in the wires. He said he’d mount em clean for me hahaha.

I am also of the mindset to do pretty much anything/everything myself if possible.

“What goes up, must come down” - said some one haha.

IMG_7381.jpeg

Welding didn’t pass the inspection and they couldn’t remedy it.

welding was not bad, it just wasn’t to print.

We’re starting over…

it was fun to do the first time, I’m over joyed the second go round 😃

I’d imagine the shed company is bleeding quite bad on this project.

Should have the new one up by end of day tomorrow.

“What goes up, must come down” - said some one haha.

View attachment 262367

Welding didn’t pass the inspection and they couldn’t remedy it.

welding was not bad, it just wasn’t to print.

We’re starting over…

it was fun to do the first time, I’m over joyed the second go round 😃

I’d imagine the shed company is bleeding quite bad on this project.

Should have the new one up by end of day tomorrow.
Wow that’s crazy! I trust it’s all coming out of shed company’s pocket and nothing out of yours.

Wow that’s crazy! I trust it’s all coming out of shed company’s pocket and nothing out of yours.

It certainly is.

They were late on arrival two times today, which means the welding inspector has to come back a 3rd time…

They have a $1500 bill in inspection time alone for today.

I haven’t paid for anything for the shed yet, I’ll calculate the cost of doing all this work again and we will come up with a new price for the shed.

Back