bunch of questions, thanks in advance :)

rustynail99

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
ok guys i have a 79 XS and i have a few questions for ya. :D

1. i have my motor pretty much back together and i wan to paint it black and then sand the fins for that nice look, any tips? anything i should avoid painting? should i find an engine primer to prime it with or just use the engine paint?

2. ok the next one is for wiring... :banghead: i appoligize in advance. i have a 79 xs650 with a pamco ignition. the only things i need wiring for are headlight, taillight, mini speedo and anything to make the motor run. im running kick only, so no electric start (kick only) and i have a universal ignition. what do i need to wire to have the motor run? :confused: i know there are simplified wiring diagrams out there but i am extremely wiring ignorant and know nothing about it. :shrug: so if someone can recommend which diagram i should use that would be awesome. :thumbsup:

3. is there anything i should do before i torque the motor down? anything i may have forgotten? i know i still need to adjust the tappets and do my timeing stuff, but is there anything i need to do before tightening the head down?

i suppose that is it for now, im sure i will think of other stuff i forgot later, but this should be enough to get me started. thanks guys. :bike:

no need for primer, just make sure its clean and oil free. then paint let dry and sand the fins with 80 or 120 grit to rough thru the paint then 320 to smooth them, worked well on mine.

check out pamcopete's wiring for charging systems and ignition systems on 650 garage or he might have it over here as well. Headlight,taillight can run thru fuses right to your switch

make sure you put some threebond or whatever you use for gasket sealer on your rocker box cover. then torque her down. there is a sequence of torqueing each bolt in the manual.

thanks bigpup, i had found in the manual about the threebond and the torque sequence as well as specs. thanks for the paint info, that is extremely helpfull.

Once you torque the head, let it set over night, retorque, Get it started, warm it up good. Next day retorque. A few heat cycles, retorque after each. Ride it 50 miles retorque. Ride 100 miles retorque. Change oil, check oil and filters for crud. Ride 100 miles, retorque. After a few retorques you will find that you are not turning the nuts to get to the torque. Once you get this far they should hold.
Checking the torque every now and then isn't a bad idea.

Did you replace those rubber/metal washers under the 4 outside acorn nuts with copper or brass ones? You really should. The rubber ones cause those 4 outside nuts to constantly come loose. Also, it's accepted practice to use 30 to 35 ft/lbs on the 8 large acorn nuts instead of the original Yamaha spec of 26 or 27.

ok guys i have two other questions and i am trying to avoid starting another thread so here we go!

1. i have a 79 XS650 special. how do i know if i have a combined regulator/rectifier? if it is seperate what does it look like. all the wiring diagrams show a combined one.

2. when should i do all my wiring? my pop said i should do it before paint and final assembly but i have also heard of doing everything and doing the wiring dead last. any tips on the order of operations?

ok guys i have two other questions and i am trying to avoid starting another thread so here we go!

1. i have a 79 XS650 special. how do i know if i have a combined regulator/rectifier? if it is seperate what does it look like. all the wiring diagrams show a combined one.

2. when should i do all my wiring? my pop said i should do it before paint and final assembly but i have also heard of doing everything and doing the wiring dead last. any tips on the order of operations?

- before paint and final assembly, you know where everything is going and you can do it and test without spoiling the final finish-even get in a ride or three
- combi rec reg has the three field wires as well as the positive, negative, and the 2 brush wires
- separate rec has the three field wires, pos and neg and the reg has 3 wires
- this should show you the basics

xs650allyears.jpg

ok inxs so my unit has 7 wires coming out of it. 3 yellows, a blue, red, orange, and green. does that mean i have a combo reg/rec? wow i suck at this wiring stuff! thanks for the help.

- combi - the 3 yellow are field, red is positive, blackis negative, green and orange/brown go to the brushes

awesome! that was what i was hoping to hear! that is seriously the only thing that has gone right the last two days of working in the shop! thanks again inxs, you are the man!!!

ok guys so heres my newest issue. i set the cam so it was correct with the timing that i know. but now i cant remember if i put more tension on the front of the cam chain and left slack in the back for the tensioner or not. is there any way to check this without removing the head cover since it is already three bond sealed :/

Posted via Mobile

Back