bungs broke off ugh

slackjaw44

greasy summmbitch
Reaction score
turned my frame upside down to shimy in the motor and those bungs popped right off from the weight of frame+motor. I used a wire welder on them and didn't have the heat up enough, I still dont think they would've popped off riding but i'm glad they fell off now.

stupid mistake, feel like an idiot

everyone makes mistakes but i would say never mig weld. it basically like super glue out of welding. go tig. much stronger and much cleaner.

everyone makes mistakes but i would say never mig weld. it basically like super glue out of welding. go tig. much stronger and much cleaner.

Obviously advice from someone who isn't a welder. Dont believe the hype. Tig is nice but it is the person welding that determines the quality of the weld.

Actually I am a welder and have been a certified welder for 8 years. Obviously this shows your intelligence on the subject. If you want professional go tig. Any hack can go to home depot and pretended there a welder. Mig is for the inexperienced.

Half the world is MIG welded together. Do you think the factories are TIG welding frames? MIG , (or any type of weld properly done), is just as strong. The key word is properly done.

Actually I am a welder and have been a certified welder for 8 years. Obviously this shows your intelligence on the subject. If you want professional go tig. Any hack can go to home depot and pretended there a welder. Mig is for the inexperienced.

LOL sure man. So all professional mig welders are glorified supergluers?!? what about arc welders? cavemen with buzzboxes? So with your "logic", any inexperienced person with a tig torch in his hand is a pro? I know plenty of old timers who can weld circles around you blindfolded with both arms tied around their back.:D
How do you figure that since you are a certified welder for 8 years, that makes me any less intelligent on the subject? I said that it is the person doing the welding which determines the quality of the weld. Do you disagree?
also, pretended? what are you, 5? oh the irony...

Last edited:
Ya, at least it was at the shop when they fell off. After my father would weld something he beat it with a hammer to check. He would say that if you are afraid to hit it, then you have no confidence. I don't weld at all. I go to a shop. That way I can blame the guy who did it if it breaks. :wink2:

REAL welders use Oxy Acetylene. Everyone else is a poser.

:laugh:

Gary with a MIG and a TIG a stick and maybe a gas torch again some day.
The Miller 180 synchrowave TIG hasn't even been wired in yet!
I can fuggle stuff up with ANY method of welding and have the scrap to prove it.

go_be_fat_somewhere_else.jpg

i love these mig vs. tig fights. there is one thing that is ALWAYS a constant in these online battles. that is the people that "know" how to tig and have been 'certified' and have degrees in welding are the ones that say mig isnt good enough for a bike frame.

hey everone else. there is NO changing these guys minds. everyone that migs are just hacks that barely stick metal together and have no hope in riding down the road if a mig was within 100 feet of their bike.

OH shit what did i start.

Well I've been practicing more with the wire welder, I WILL be using it again to weld on the bungs and i WILL be doing it MYSELF. I know i know..what your thinking. They will be tested before I run on it. Like a guy stated previously Ill take a hammer/chisel to them.

This IS a real 1966 GT40. The chassis on this car was MIG welded together. I helped restore this car. I know. It did not break apart at 220 mph during the 24 hours at Lemans. (It did however break a ball joint, and didn't finish, but 3 other GT40's went 1,2 and 3 that year))

Attachments

• xgt2.jpg
    xgt2.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 45
I dont "like" taking my shit to anyone else to have them fix it/work on it. If i cannot do it Ill damn sure learn how to/ or fix whatever it is that i'm doing wrong. That's what's wrong with the world today too many people want to run off and get someone else to do work. Each to his own though

Hahaha wow. Well to start the super glue phrase was an analogy. Guess that one flew right over your head. And I do agree its up to the welder. But like I said tig welding is MUCH STRONGER and MUCH CLEANER. Never said mig didn't have its place in the world just that tig is better. Like using a crescent wrench instead of the size wrench on a bolt. It will work but there is a better tool for the job. Oh and arc welders aren't cave men. That's actually the strongest way to weld. Not sure james what you were getting at with the question also, pretended? And no I am not 5. I weld all day at work using tig, mig, and arc. I am sure you know some people that are damn good. Too bad we couldn't have a contest. Oh and I know in factories they use mig in production but its a little different comparing the quality of welds from a $1500 garage welder to a $5000 welder connected to a fanuc robot.

Just to clarify I am not saying anything bad about people who mig I respect the diy crowd. I am just offering my ofacts. If you feel comfortable mig welding it go ahead. And slackjaw44 since you decided to try again I suggest putting a good champfer on the bung. You will get better penetration

This argument is making me LOL, for real.

When we build 1 ton rock crawlers we mig the entire suspension system and diffs. We tig on precise stuff.

Catastrophe, as a certified, experienced welder of 8 years, you should be making more educated statements.

I should have my friend who instructs welding at the college level take a look at this thread.

Back