Bushing for advance rod

53xs650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
New to the site, I want to add a points ignition to a motor that had tci. I need to get bushings for inside cam , the dealer says they supersede to a nylon bushing? all the ones I see online are metal. Anyone use these new nylon ones. Thanks

As far as I know they are all metal. In any event, metal will work. Be sure to thoroughly clean out the cavities in the cam shaft. If you have one, use a Dremel tool with a small rotating wire brush. If the cavities are not clean the bushings may jam half way in and cannot be removed or you could also crack the cavity if you pound the bushing in.

Yes many have busted the flange off the points end of the cam trying to shove bushings in a too small hole. MikesXS sells the bronze bushings.

Thanks for the replies, The yamaha part number supersedes to what they describe as a nylon bushing? Dealer is going to get one in to look at.

hi 53 and welcome,
best you measure the camshaft's bushing location diameter before you attempt to fit the advance rod bushings.
I read somewhere that some late model camshafts didn't have the bushing locations bored to the correct diameter, there being no need for the expense of precision machining the camshaft to fit bushings that weren't used any more.

I will measure cam bore before I try to install bushings,I have oem labyrinth seals and they just start to go in with finger pressure. So when I get bushings I will measure everything.I was just not sure about the dealer saying they are now nylon. The new number says its used as a clutch bushing on some new bikes!

I got the bushings from local dealer under part # 90386-12093-00 and they turned out to be bronze alloy bushing. The description says Bush special nylon?? Thanks for the help

Back