Butterfly shaft assembly BS38's

TAlber8

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
[/URL][/IMG][/URL][/IMG]
image.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]Reassembling BS38 carbs, if I snug down the nut at end of shaft with the throttle cable, the assembling binds up.

If I leave it too lose (with locktite) will it leak air?

Am I missing something (see attached)

Also the idle screw isn't centered on the cable's plate, that seems odd to me. I have thin washer>plate>thick washer>Nut

I can't see anything different in the diagrams

Attachments

• image_1.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Fixed pictures.

Any tighter than this and it binds up. I locktited it but it is not very tight

What year BS38?

You should be able to tighten the nut without the shaft binding.
Recheck you parts order of assembly. then loosen the butterflys with all the parts on the shaft and snugged up then with the idle screw backed out, lightly let the spring snap the lever shut a couple of times, retighten the butterfly screws.

a 79 carb.

idle screw 006.jpg

I need to double check but afaik the left and right carb shaft springs are different you may need to swap springs.

Here's what you should have on the end of the shaft:
Thick washer with "oblong" hole;
Throttle stop/cable barrel-end holder thingy -- the big black thing in your pictures;
Very thin "fold-over" "lock" washer (with "oblong" hole);
Nut.

Instead of a "split-ring" type of lock washer, your carb uses a thin plate that you bend over a face of the nut to keep the nut from backing out.

later years use the split lockwasher. On assembly the end of the spring near the arm hook can become trapped between the first washer and the arm causing binding.
Note left carb spring is heavier. also check nylon spacer width left and right carb.

bs38 shaft.jpg

bs38 shafta.jpg

bs38 shaftb.jpg

Sorry these carbs are bit "experienced".

Let us know what you find out?

Last edited:
gggGary, look at his photos. He has dual cable carbs. His pictures show the right-side carb. The left and right side springs are the same, just mirror images of each other. There are no nylon spacers. His only problem is the he reversed the sequence of the thick washer and the thin (folding lock-tab) washer, so that the spring was being compressed to the point that it couldn't move because it wasn't spaced out by the thick washer, and therefore the whole shaft cannot move.

DB nails it. :thumbsup:
You are right, that upside down photo brought out my dyslexia. Why I asked the year of the carbs. I thought that fat washer he has outboard of the arm was a split washer. Like you say that goes on before the arm then the thin washer to lock.

Ahhh! That makes sense, didn't realize that was a locking washer!

A little different than the illustrations I saw.
Thanks everyone, will try this

On the throttle lever not lining up straight on the idle speed screw, no problem, just bend it a bit till it does.
Leo

Back