butterfly shaft seal ????s

wnc scout

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Can the seals be replaced without seperating the two carbs from each other.
The fuel T doesn`t leak and I`d rather not seperate it.
thanks

It's a lot more involved than "just" separating the carbs. The throttle shafts have to come out of the bodies. IE the butterflies have to come off the shafts.
Yes the carbs have to be separated, sorry. This is true for your BS34s and the earlier BS38s too. Both shafts come out towards the inside, IE towards the other carb. (I would have to go look to confirm this but I'm fairly sure.)

yep, inside.

.just did my 34's. easy peasy. Make sure you have a good fitting screw driver for the throttle plate screws. and new screws. Idles so much better. The threads on the throttle shaft itself stripped on one, so i used a tap for a 6/32 screw and used screw from a plug cover, voila, fixed. dont forget loc tite.

To install the T leak-free, assemble the carbs with the top butterfly bracket and bottom angle mount just snug. Then put a clamp on the carbs and gently tighten it just enough so the T won't easily rotate anymore. Then tighten the bracket screws top and bottom (clamp still in place) .....

Fuel-T-Install.jpg

replaced my throttle shaft seals without much of a problem but now the old fella won't start, 1980 special with bs 34 with cones and open pipes, ran nice before but wouldn't come down from a high idle, sprayed carb cleaner on shaft seals and sure enough the idle went down, i tried to bench synch the carbs, but i can't sync any further if i can't get it to run, any thoughts ?
:doh:

Posted via Mobile

after putting the carbs back on gas ran out the right k and n cone, so took them off, checked vacuum on sliders, right one looked like it was sticking a little, did usual check of float height(again) and all seemed well, i already replace slider rubber with jbm "s and titanium needles,new jets, and jet needles, thought the shaft seals would set me free but i guess not, any ideas anyone? would the cars being out of sync not allow it to start at all, it was a one kick bike before replacing the shaft seals,builds been a lot of fun but these carbs are pissing me off, could have bought a new set for the $ i spent on new parts! 5 twins u out there! LOL:bike:

Posted via Mobile

Last edited:
Gas leak check the float valve.
When you put the butterflys back in did you leave the screws slightly loose and snap the throttle shafts a couple of times to center them(butterfly plates) before the final tightening?
When you replaced the diaphragms did you orient the relief hole in the slide to the front and use something(nail polish?) to keep the slide from turning?

Back