Buying a second bike suggestions

I think Japan went too far with the 1800 and 2000cc V twin bikes. who wants a bike that gets less than 35 mpg? Honda dropped the 1800 VTX The 1300 might hit a sweet spot though. Stylewise I think I prefer the shadows, the VTX' are little over the top but the 1100 shadow is a bit down on power for serious 2 up riding.
Will be interesting to see what you end up with Grinder.

Love my 06 Nomad been to hell and back on it its comfortable, lots of power, dependable and can haul a ton of stuff, I just love it. But!!!!!! that New Ducati MultiStrada is really starting to look good to me. A whole different kind of riding style, but im really thinking about it.

I like to strike up a conversation sometimes when I see someone getting on or off their water cooled Japanese bike to see how many miles they have put on them. It amazes me sometimes the miles they have put on some of these things nowdays with seemingly few problems. Most everything was air-cooled when I was a kid.
jefft

Too big on the metric twins? Mileage? I get 42-46mpg on my 113 ci raider. And that's with it tuned for performance rather than mileage. I know guys getting 48-50mpg with theirs set up for mileage. As far as problems...I've had none but I don't have a ton of mileage. I know guys with 100k on their raiders without a single issue. Keep up with regular maintenance and your good to go.

The VTX 1800's are great bikes. I would touch the fury or the new hondas with that motor though. Its a dog. THey should have stuck with the 1800. The fury could have been so much better if Honda wouldn't have skimped on the fenders, and popcorn sounding exhaust. Not to mention the cheezy covers on the sides. There was a lady on our raider forum (her husband had a show winning raider) who did up her fury right (slammed, new fenders, seat, and more. it was one of the nicest looking bikes I've ever seen.

One old biker here with several XS 650's. A great smooth cruiser (even bagger) companion need not be either liquid cooled, fuel injected nor north of 1000 cc's displacement or NEW. Vintage "airhead" Beemers of the 70's & 80's are still incredibly smooth, reliable and fast. They are frequent great stablemate companions to XS 650's as well. My last was a 76' R 90/6 and favorites are the R 75/5, R 80 G/S or R 80 ST. Still great road worthy air cooled twins you'll love for reasons similar to why you're here.

A stellar example described below.....Blue

Attachments

• Old_N_Fast-small.pdf
    936.8 KB · Views: 204
I cant help it, but i really like these BMW's. Both the old R100 from the 80's and this one in the picture.
Have never tried one, but i know they have shaft and have been early out with safety like abs-brakes and so on.

Attachments

• BMW-desktop-wallpapers_2004_R1150RT_motorcycle_2.jpg
    BMW-desktop-wallpapers_2004_R1150RT_motorcycle_2.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 90
Thanks for all the suggestions but some can be ruled out because of price and I really wanted a new bike as this will probably be the last bike I buy. My XS lasted me 34yrs and still going strong but my bones can't take rides for any long distance on it.
The Star 1300 I think is a good compromise, not too big but big enough, decent fuel economy, lots of accessories available, great dealer network close by and I got it for 7K even plus tax. Guy's on the Star sites have over 50K on some of their bikes and going strong. The worst part now is it will be sitting in the garage for 4 months before I can ride it!

Grinder,
Not sure where you are in Wisconsin but I've got a dealer that is pretty difficult to beat on price for whatever yamaha you buy. Its Tejas Motorsports in Texas. If you tell the manager Brent that Capt Zoom from the raider forum sent you or join the roadstarraider forum and they will give you a huge discount....usually more than enough to cover the shipping to Wisconsin. Plus they typically give the forum members big discounts on parts and accessories. They've also been voted best yamaha dealer in the nation two years in a row if I recall correctly.

The 1300 is a nice bike. Very comfortable.

Grinder: Ride Wednesday and Thanksgiving. Weather is looking good! My just turned 50,000 miles Shadow 1100Aero might make it out one more ride if I can find the time to do it.

Back