Buying from another country

cobrasneverdie

el guapo
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm gonna need some help. Recently I had my motorcycle stolen a few months ago and I have not had any leads on it, so I decided to stop looking for it. But I've been scoping out craigslist and I've found a Fargo, Minneapolis, and Iowa to be the near me. I'm from Canada, and I have bought one motorized vehicle so I'm not quite sure what to look for when buying a motorcycle outside your country.
Any tips I should be aware of?

If you go on the GTA Motorcycle (gtamotorcycle.com)web site, it has a sticky there about buying bikes from US and all the import needs in the general pages of that forum, 4 one down.
The site is very Toronto centric with a lot of centre of the universe discussions, so wear your special amulet while reading so you don't catch it!

Hi cobra,
You mean what to look for in buying the bike or in getting it across the border or in getting it registered in Manitoba? Or in all three?

I can't help with any first hand information............But..............I have done a lot of research on importing from the states to Australia.

Do your own research through the relevant govt departments relating to your particular situation. In doing so you will know for sure what is allowed and what isn't, this will help to sort through answers that may be misleading or just common knowledge.

try to find someone who has actually done this, (yes that is why this thread was created), and the importer who they used.

Over here, (Aus), there are several importers on new and old bikes but some of those are more into just making a sale than actually having a good to great service. The word SERVICE is the operative word that is lacking in a lot of these importers.

There is one importer who helps prospective buyers make the trip to the States, purchase the bike, they have a ride around for a period of time, (may go to Sturgis or what not, doesn't matter), then imports back here under the new owners name.

No taxes are applied on 30 year old bikes so a lot of money can be saved compared to newer bikes. Also because the owner has bought the bike and it is in his/her name this makes the import just a little easier. This information should be in your Govt regulations.

Even if you find an importer it is always good to find out for yourself as well.

Back