Buying wire & terminal connectors

Chi2

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to rewire my 81 XS650SH using a chopper wiring diagram and a Pamco. I like shopping online, and usually I buy at MikesXS (convenience, and I trust their stuff), but they do not sell wire (that I can see) even though they sell terminals, fuses, etc.

Where are people buying their wire and terminals from? What is the recommended type of wire and gauge? Finally, do people recommend using MikesXS' bullet (metric) terminals, or are the more common spade-type just as good?

I can find many generic sellers (i.e. eBay, Google, etc.) but I am worried that the materials might not be high quality.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Jon

If you need any authentic connectors, wiring, wiring sleeves or tape here is the BEST place on the internet for Japanese electrical wiring supplies. Great prices, reasonable shipping. Make sure you check the price list page. There he has all the individual connectors and pins etc.

http://www.vintageconnections.com/

Glenn

I was surprised to find my wire in my local Home Depot electrical dept. They had 14-16 gauge wire in spools in about 8-9 different colors(all solid, so no wire with tracer colors) but I was able to find what I needed for my simplified wiring.

WHEN i get to rewiring mine, I intend to buy a "Weather Pack" kit. Very nice sealed connectors. A lot of later model autos are going to this type of connectors. Kits available on e-bay don't seem too expensive for what you get.

Weatherpacks are nice, but they're cost prohibitive....I think a lot of the ones you see on ebay aren't real weatherpacks.....

A complete pre-assembled 3 terminal with leads is $10, for the male AND female end. $20 for a connector!

If you opt to build the connectors yourself using the kits, you only save $2-3 per connector.

There are a lot of great options here- thanks! :bike:

Do people generally overbuild, and go one gauge higher (i.e. if 16 is enough, use 14 instead)? The cost difference is negligible, and I can't see a downside other than being a little harder to maneuver sire due to size.

A larger wire is stiffer. A stiffer wire won't flex as well as lighter wire. It will tend to break more often when exposed to the vibration of our beloved XS650's.
Leo

Got some new spade connectors from vintage connections. I am looking at the ends of the spade connectors (the end that attaches to the wire) and was wondering if there is a special tool made to secure the wire to the spade connector? The connectors I have seen before seem to be in a nice even bend where it attaches to the wire. Not something done with a pair of pliers.
Jefft

There are a lot of great options here- thanks! :bike:

Do people generally overbuild, and go one gauge higher (i.e. if 16 is enough, use 14 instead)? The cost difference is negligible, and I can't see a downside other than being a little harder to maneuver sire due to size.

You can use 14 gauge for the main supply from the battery to the main fuse, from main fuse to the ignition switch and to the rectifier output. 16 gauge is good for most other wires. Yes 18 gauge could be used for some small individual feeds i.e. horn, signals, taillight, but there's less voltage drop by using 16 gauge. Don't use 18 gauge for the headlight................16 gauge is best for that.

Back