Cafe build update

that paint did turn out well, liking that orange color. beautiful cafe build.

got me itching to start the paint job on my cafe.

jealous of that exhaust, its a bitch trying to do any work on your rear wheel with most exhausts - looks like you took care of that problem. plus it looks badass.

now that you're done, ride the shit out of that rice burner

Rude, that bike looks amazing!! I am starting my cafe build this weekend and my target style is almost exactly what you did except black, and a few other minor details. I might have to pick your brain a bit as I get more involved. Where did you get that seat, I like that the rear hump is there, but not huge. Again, great job, if my bike ends up half as good, I'll be happy.

When I get a good camera I'm looking forward to getting some good poser shots of the old girl

The shocks feel great on a short squirt Oz but I'm in a dilemma with no registration I can't go for a long shakedown ride, after easter I'll be looking for a "good" inspection station, my main problem will be noise as it needs to be 102db max, the only way to check this is to go through the rego process and keep stuffing Stainless Steel scourers down behind my home made baffle plates

I found some good doco's on the web regarding requirements for building and registering modified motorcycles, an interesting read but for Australia only, I'll post them here (or should I stick them in somewhere else?). I've kept them cause I really would like to do a bobber so this info will be handy for arguement with the rego fun police.

blldhjfg55438.....Here's the link to the seat,
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BSA-goldstar...orcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27b9625b18

I added an extra couple of inches at the front to achieve the overal length, the seat base needs to made as none is supplied, I retained the battery box and got rid of the emergency light unit this gave a couple of good threaded captive nuts that I've used to secure the seat, works well, see pic
As for my brain, pick away but I expect there is better pickings in this forum than mine so help and advice will be there when you need it
cheers

Attachments

• AUST ONLY NatStatExhaustNoiseTestSept2006.pdf
    388.5 KB · Views: 7,415
  • AUST ONLY NCOP8_Section_LL_Motor-Cycles_and_3WheelVehicles_01Jan2011_v2.pdf
    280.3 KB · Views: 810
  • IMG00178-20100824-1957.jpg
    IMG00178-20100824-1957.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 207
Must be hard being a good boy and not riding it around - I was actually curious about how the carbs were working out for you, but I guess you wouldn't have had a good chance yet to give them a good run! Don't know if your cans allow it, but sometimes (I kid you not) you can fit a stainless steel sink strainer in behind the end cap. Some guys on another forum I frequent have done this to bring down the noise level on their de-baffled cans when required. Of course it depends on whether you can easily remove and install the end cap.

That is cool. I am working on one cafe and one tracker. Will be looking for cafe/tracker ideas from this one.
Cool.
Srinath.

aw shucks thanks TeeCat,
Oz, thanks for the strainer tip, strange but I do think of applications for "stuff" I see when wandering the supermarket, I'll keep my eye out for the strainers (in fact I think she has one in the kitchen...........score!) the end caps come off with three screws.
The Carbs are good when the exhaust is free flowing, as I've strangled her to get the db's down the idle has got worse, last night it was quietest but not running well, on revving from idle I was getting black smoke indicating running very rich. What I need to do is put a plan inplace whereby I,
1. strangle the exhaust, 2. get it running, 3. trailer to rego inspection, 4. pass rego, then take it home and unpack the mufflers to a reasonable db level, then do the final carby tune with the ability to actually ride it, sounds like a plan......
cheers

I just bought some S/S scourers to chuck down my pipes, let me know how you go with home made baffling!

I just got my bike idling nice but was told it is too loud to pass RWC….I'm guessing when I stuff things down her throat I will have to adjust it all to run smooth, then back again after.

I just bought some S/S scourers to chuck down my pipes, let me know how you go with home made baffling!

I just got my bike idling nice but was told it is too loud to pass RWC....I'm guessing when I stuff things down her throat I will have to adjust it all to run smooth, then back again after.

Yep same problem, I wonder what the db reading is on a XS with stock pipes? As for stuffing the SS Scourers in there, after a couple of good revs you'll have lots of SS streamers blowing out your pipes, I made up a plate with a 1" hole and some steel gauze to keep the scourers in place

My pipes have mufflers that I have seen on XS & Harleys, but they are loud, they already have a plate in them to which should keep the scourers in place.

Make sure you got real S/Steel and not shiny plastic foil, cos they melt and also not pre soaped ones cos it smells funny!

Did the scourer drop the DB much? How about restricting breathing?

I just read through this thread.it was a good read and to see your bike go it changes. This is a real nice bike! and I like it alot! Great Job Rude :thumbsup:

I just read through this thread.it was a good read and to see your bike go it changes. This is a real nice bike! and I like it alot! Great Job Rude :thumbsup:
Thanks Man!

I finally had the chance to stretch her legs during the break, so to speak, once I got the problem with the rubber boots holding the Keihins sorted, the astute amongst you will see the "fix".
MikesXS has kindly offered to replace the failed boots, same day response to my email

Anyway, Once the old carbs were back on we did over 200klms cruising the NSW Southern Highlands with no problems
Riding with the 17/34 sprocket combo is a blast on the back roads but I'll keep away from the freeway, runs out of comfort over 80mph, maybe a 33 rear?

Otherwise what a talking point, always raises a crowd (nice trumpy mate:laugh:)

I still have some "cobbling" to do on the old girl, but mostly she's done

Some holiday pics,

Attachments

• DSC_0218s.jpg
    DSC_0218s.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 243
  • DSC_0226s.JPG
    DSC_0226s.JPG
    281.7 KB · Views: 251
  • DSC_0227s.jpg
    DSC_0227s.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 264
  • DSC_0229s.jpg
    DSC_0229s.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 283
  • DSC_0228s.jpg
    DSC_0228s.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 305
Rude, that is just simply a great looking bike. You even took the time to get the head pipes tinged towards the paint. Honestly, they look good that way! :cheers:

Back