Cafe Seat on a stock bike

Anything further on this - I am interested in getting a cafe seat like Brassneck's.

It sure looks like an XS750 Standard to me....and there is info on the forum on how to mount those on a 650 frame.

LittleBill:

I checked out the Airtech seat website and their stuff looks really nice and it looks pretty easy to do that whole job - BUT - by the time you get all the stuff, it seems that it isn't too much cheaper than simply buying one of the pre-built seats from http://www.motorcycleseatsdirect.com/

The only thing I can see is that some of the Airtech seats have a built-in glove box which IMHO would be very handy on a naked bike (I always seem to have sunglasses/goggle/heltmet communicators/other crap along with me, and no place to put it).

Am I missing something?

Pete

Just depends on what you want.
As I stated in my other posts, I have a totally covered cafe seat on there now and I hate it. Came with the bike.
I wanted the flat traditional seat with a bump on the back that is paintable, like Brassnecks.
I also need a place to put my small battery and M-Unit. Which will go under the bump.

Hey all,

Yep, '77 XS750 tank... the fitment is close but some modification is required. There are threads on it in this forum but essentially, you need to flip the cups/mounts as the tank is just the reverse of the frame compared to the XS650, and you need to bend down the end tab on the tank to be able to mount it on the stud in the frame... Not hard, but takes a little time. Worth it in my opinion, as the tank just looks right on the cafe'd 650. :)

The seat is from Airtech...VS11 (I think)... there are other seats, but I wanted a custom look, and airtech is great. I had them make an upholstery pan to match the seat as well. Probably all in for the seat, upholstery pan, covering I am about $350 into it. The paint is another matter...lol.

There's some pics in my album on the base I made for it. http://www.xs650.com/media/albums/79-special-ii-turns-cafe.2347/?page=2
The goal was to NOT cut anything on the frame, retain the seat lock/hinges, etc...worked out great.

Brassneck:

I have spent most of today looking at your album - and searching for the parts I would need to build a bike like yours (instead of doing all the paperwork I should have been working on....)

Your bike really is one of the most beautiful XS650 builds I've ever seen. If Yamaha were to have done a version of the rare (and very cool) Honda GB500 - it would have come out looking just like your bike.
  • Can you tell us what it is like to ride?
  • Would you have done anything differently if you were doing it again?
Congratulations - I am a fan.

Pete

Wow, thanks Pete...humbled.

It's a blast to ride! Granted, it's not an all day cruiser as the stance is a bit aggressive for anything long-distance in my opinion (But I have an FZ1 for that purpose). Specifically, changing up the rear rim to an 18" (From stock 16" and going with a thinner rear tire) and longer rear shocks (about an inch I think), the cornering is WAY better, and so much more fun to ride. The front suspension I have on their is stock, and adjusted as stiff as possible...so that helps for my height/weight too.

For things that I would change... that's hard to say, but I suppose staying true to the "look/styling" there's not a whole lot more I would have done differently. I am looking to change up the exhaust (Staying two into two...but with reverse cones/commandos perhaps?) I might integrate the turn signals better. And I would have probably spent a little more time with the frame (powder coated vs. spot painted here and there). I need to change out the steering head bearings, need to change out the swing arm bushings...I have the parts, just haven't gotten to it as I have a new project I'm working on this fall/winter (Building a CB175 track bike for vintage class racing this next year)...and it's sucking up ALL of my time. :)

I had the idea to go with clip-ons from the start...and motolana has a sick top yoke that I LOVE, but I am still liking the clubmans for the overall look...so that's money saved, I suppose. ha ha.

I'm sure there are things that I will think of as I think back on the build, but that's all I can think of for now.

Thanks so much - again, what a cool ride!

I asked more questions in my PM - but I don't want to be a pest....:rolleyes:

Pete

Thanks for the info, Brassneck.
Mine is pretty similar.
19" front, 18" rear wheels, thin tires and rearsets makes it a corner monster.
I have a boxed swingarm with needle bearings, but it's getting swapped out for a stock swingarm. Tapered bearings in the neck.
I have Commando mufflers and they sound great. Mikuni 34mm roundslides.
I'm going with Tommaselli clip-ons ( I have clubmans now) and will install my Tommaselli Practic B throttle.
'78 Standard gas tank is on it now and will go good once I get the Airtech seat on.
It's getting disassembled this winter and cleaning up the frame.

Thanks for the info, Brassneck.
Mine is pretty similar.
19" front, 18" rear wheels, thin tires and rearsets makes it a corner monster.
I have a boxed swingarm with needle bearings, but it's getting swapped out for a stock swingarm. Tapered bearings in the neck.
I have Commando mufflers and they sound great. Mikuni 34mm roundslides.
I'm going with Tommaselli clip-ons ( I have clubmans now) and will install my Tommaselli Practic B throttle.
'78 Standard gas tank is on it now and will go good once I get the Airtech seat on.
It's getting disassembled this winter and cleaning up the frame.

That sounds great...would love to see it when you get it all together.

Here it is as of last week.
XScafe_anti.jpg

Ah hah - getting there very nicely! Was that bike a Standard or a Special and what year?

Looks good Bill!

Pete

Thx. I'll be looking for something like that for my upcoming project.

Are those rearsets from VintageRider?

Pete

Back