Caliper rebuild

pregrid

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Finally got the pistons out of the calipers, not the easist thing I've done here. One came out with air pressure, the other I had to hook up the front master to and use hydraulic pressure to remove it.

calipers001.jpg

Question: all the caliper rebuild kits I've used in the past (mostly automotive) came with a little packet of grease to lube the piston seal. Don't know if the kits I've ordered from MikesXS has them, doesn't look like it. What do you guys use to lube the seals? I'm pretty sure just any grease won't do cause petrolium based grease and rubber generally don't get along.

'preciate your help

Just brake fluid. Make sure you clean the seal grooves out real good. Crust buildup in those is the major cause of brake dragging and sticking.

+1 what 5t sez. A little FINE paper on those bores won't hurt either. 1000 or above just some light swipes around.

Cool, and simple. And yes, the bores and oring grooves need a little more clean-up. One more question: is there any reason I can't use dot5 fluid in a clean new system? both masters are going to be replaced as well as all the lines. I really prefer the dot5 to anything else because of the fact that it does NOT eat paint.

I was doing calipers today too. the ones from the SV650 for the tracker, Forks leaked so replaced the fork seals but the PO had ridden it for a while and the brakes were an oil mess. My only gotcha is the dust seals grew from being soaked in oil so long. :shrug: I tried several seal shrinking tricks but no joy yet.

There's a nice specific grease for the pistons/seals and the name escapes me-I'll try to remember to look when I go to the shop. I use it for my bikes with double discs/calipers it keeps things moving and I wouldn't do without it.

John

I was doing calipers today too. the ones from the SV650 for the tracker, Forks leaked so replaced the fork seals but the PO had ridden it for a while and the brakes were an oil mess. My only gotcha is the dust seals grew from being soaked in oil so long. :shrug: I tried several seal shrinking tricks but no joy yet.

Voodoo seems to work for me in those situations. Just be precise in what you ask for.:yikes:

There's a nice specific grease for the pistons/seals and the name escapes me-I'll try to remember to look when I go to the shop. I use it for my bikes with double discs/calipers it keeps things moving and I wouldn't do without it.

John

cool. let me know when you find out. I'm sure if I go to the local bike and/or automotive shop and ask them I will get that "deer in the headlights" look.

^You googled caliper grease. That's for greasing certain parts of caliper mechanisms. He wants something to lubricate a seal. He ought to use brake fluid for that, unless the manufacturer recommends otherwise, and it doesn't.

I bought stainless pistons and lubed the piston seal w/brake fluid (DOT 4), Dot 5 is not recommended by MMM, I'm not sure why, but I trust his experience on that. Powder coated the caliper body and got speed bleeders to keep the fluid off, just attach a small hose to the bleeder.

^You googled caliper grease. That's for greasing certain parts of caliper mechanisms. He wants something to lubricate a seal. He ought to use brake fluid for that, unless the manufacturer recommends otherwise, and it doesn't.

Right you are, reading the actual question is hard. :) The grease is for the parts.

John

I put this on the piston/bore on the outside of the seals, and a little on the moving parts.

John

Attachments

• Sil-Glyde.JPG
    Sil-Glyde.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 324
So this thread has me asking one question:

$22 for some metric o-rings? Is there anything special about the shape or sizing of them or are they just regular metric o-rings? I'm thinking about ordering one set just to measure them and see if I can find them locally formamfraction of the price. (like 5 bucks or less from Hyspeco). If anybody knows this would be some good info. If not, I'll try and get it together to post it up.

Yeppers good catch. My bad. Guess I locked in on.

came with a little packet of grease

And couldn't get past it:doh:

So this thread has me asking one question:

$22 for some metric o-rings? Is there anything special about the shape or sizing of them or are they just regular metric o-rings? I'm thinking about ordering one set just to measure them and see if I can find them locally formamfraction of the price. (like 5 bucks or less from Hyspeco). If anybody knows this would be some good info. If not, I'll try and get it together to post it up.

Well they're not round, they're square. Actually they're round but the cross section is square. That make sense?

Back