calling all bad ass bikers

Grinder

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Just wondering how long/far some of you guys can ride these bobbers/choppers with those little thinly padded seats? I love the look of the hardtails and bobbers, but just looking at those seats makes my ass hurt. I just put Ultimate seats on my V-Star and 500+ mile days are no problem but I'd be off those bobbers after 25 miles. And yes I'm an old guy!

lol I was concerned about this also when I was building my hardtail, however I found after the build that I can actually ride for longer with the spring seat and drag bars than I could with the bike completely stock. I think the longest I've gone is about 6 hours with a couple ten minute picture breaks here and there.

Done a few 3-4 hour round trip runs with no problems. It really depends on what kind of roads you run around on too.. I used to ride around on a network of back roads that were really bumpy and that got me hurting pretty good so I'd be home in under an hour.

Ive got a fairly iron ass......Ive got more than one certified Iron Butt Assoc. ride under my belt.

I rode for 36 hours straight once.......stopping only for gas when the bike needed it (220 mile range). At the end of 36 hours I had done about 1800 miles.

I commonly get on my bike and crank out 12 to 14 hours just to make time.....but thats on a touring barge - my Victory Vision.

Ive owned a couple rigids before.....so Im not new to tasting my kidneys.

I can run about a tank full thru my bike (100 miles) then I have to get off for 10 minutes.

The most Ive done in a day was about 350 miles......I *think* I could do 500.....but I havent ever done it.

Like long distance riding......most of the time its a mental thing......my ass is usually hurting about as much as its gonna hurt after the first 30 minutes......after thats its just mind over matter and how bad do you need to be where your going.

Generally on the rigid XS I slow the pace and smell the flowers......makes it more fun and less pain.

if you guys talkin about bad street... fyyuuuhh you guys should try jakarta (indonesia) street, lot of a trap here.. and mine? im using a custom full frame.. yessss got some pain in my ass some time..but i have to deal with that.. i love the hardtail bobber look..

if you guys talkin about bad street... fyyuuuhh you guys should try jakarta (indonesia) street, lot of a trap here.. and mine? im using a custom full frame.. yessss got some pain in my ass some time..but i have to deal with that.. i love the hardtail bobber look..

Read these post's and wondered what ol' Java is riding on in Indo..
5 post's later, he's on the thread.. Go figure! :bike:

On my old GS750 hardtail I had a thin seat mounted directly onto the frame and huge ape-hangers and I could ride that bike quite comfortably for 5 or 6 hours at a time although I did have to stop every 50 or 60 miles for gas.
This however was 25 years ago-all my bikes now have rear suspension ;) ;) ;)

there is a certain amount of ass-conditioning if you're coming from a thick cushioned seat.. but you will get used to it..
good seat springs help too..

Yeah but the traffic is so bad you never get over 30kms/h! :D

Back