Calling all Canadians, Plate mounting!?

Tron

Bearded Sheep Whisperer
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've got a question on plate mounting for these damn canadian plates. Anyone have experience using an aftermarket plate mount, specifically an side axle mount, with these obnoxiously large canadian plates?

I believe a standard american plate is 4x7, and our canadian plates are 5x8.

Im wanting to use a rock-a-billy curved axle mount kit but am unsure of the fit, and if I can make it work.

Pictures anyone?

No pics but I can cut a bc plate enough that it fits on any mount I've tried and still had all the decals and whatnot fit good.

And no troubles with the fuzz?

Sometimes I feel like I have a flashing target on my back when it comes to attracting the cops in any vehicle I have owned, granted none have been remotely close to stock!

If you cut it, they can fine you for damaging government property. Even just trimming the edge to size it down some.
Honestly, our plates aren't that bad compared to some of the EURO ones.

Also side mounting it will get you fines. They want to see it illuminated, legible, and mounted on the center of the bike above the axle.

Depending on what police stops you, you can get any manner of weird fine relating to that so beware. I've paid over $300.00 in plate fines alone so it's always going to be a risk.
After a while, the novelty wears off and there's nothing uncool about having the plate where it's supposed to be.
Only once I returned the mount back to stock, showed the police and had the fine waived. It's simply not like the states here, we have to play by stricter rules or risk fines.

wow i went through this in the summer with my bobber in the hammer, ontario. well i talked to more cops then i can imagine and the only cops that will ticket you is a traffic cop. it is a very grey area. all the highway traffic act states is it must be mounted at the farthest area to the rear of the bike. Now i was told horizontal will be easier to get away with since most utility trailers are mounted behind the left fender. and since harley has come out with a side mount mfg bike it is making it easier. most times it is cause you've done something else wrong and most times it is cause you have no signals, open pipes and a side mount plate with a non DOT helmet. i rode all summer and never had a problem but then again i dont ride like an a hole. so. hope that helps.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/globalmaa/dads019.jpg

Posted via Mobile

Bike bike has no signals, straight pipes, and no front fender,

Think ill keep the plate on the back and get a sparto style light

Hey guys, I am a police officer in Toronto, Ontario (not a traffic cop though) and I would not pull over a bike for the side mounted plate. Neither would my platoon mates. As far as bikes go, all we look for is safe driving habits. Yes if your wearing colours we will check you out, but if treated with respect,(it goes both ways) it's all good.
I ride and am building an '81 hardtail 650 right now. Loud pipes, ape bars, no front fender are not an issue, yes against the highway traffic act, but usually not an issue.

If your driving habits get our attention, then yes it is just another ticket to us. If stopped and asked then explain the custom aspects and most coppers (unless traffic ones) will either not pick up on the infractions or not care.

Drive sober and keep it between the ditches. :thumbsup:

To BJHarf thanks for the heads up. I'm in Scarborugh and looking to get my bike on the road this spring. My wife's uncle is Metro as well and I have run all my automotive mods through him before completing them. It would seem that almost everything is cool as long as you aren't a dick on the road.

Be safe and cool headed on the road and you won't have problems. Most of the time they would only like to see the cool shit you've done.

Back