cam chain adjustment rethunk (again)

xjwmx

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
For a year or two or five, I've been advocating adjusting the cam chain by turning the adjuster as tight as you can with fingers alone, the theory being it takes up the slack but with fingers alone you can't turn it tight enough to overtighten.

That worked fine with a normally gunked up adjuster, HOWEVER, I was surprised to discover that with the adjuster assembly completely cleaned of gum and gunk, it's easy to tighten with fingers alone to the point where there is no inner plunger movement at all. So...I'm back to the normal method of tightening till there's a mm or two movement. I'm trying to chase something else down, and next I'm going to try loosening until the chain rattles, then tightening only until it doesn't.

Dunno I'm good with the ~1mm when idling method. 15-20 set that way so far, so good?
Actually plugs out, spun with e-start is a convenient way to check/set. specially when doing a wake up drill.

I'm uncomfortable with the constant spring pressure applied to the camchain's slack side. Period Honda tensioners use a spring to push the plunger, then, once set, the plunger shaft is locked down. Slack is removed, and the only tension is from cam actuation.

Our tensioners make me think of hanging a 20lb weight from the E-string of your guitar, and leaving it like that...

Back