Cam chain. Original? Timing mark?

jamaral

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok. Got a 1978 xs650e....building bike. Got motor running after sitting for about 15-20 yrs looks like from inspection tag. Both cylinders 145-150 psi.
I wanted to put all new gaskets and seals while motor was out of frame. When motor was running. sounded like a light chain chatter or valves.

Ok now I was going by the normal timing chain tensioner in front needs replacement. I thought.? looking at few posts from 5 twins i see the original chain was DID....am I correct? Mine does not say DID. Now my front timing tensioner looks likes its new. No worn down groves, nothing. Rear tensioner has some light grooving.

I torn down entire engine to clean anyway.

So my question is...did the timing chain get replaced along with front tensioner at some point? also the timing mark/master link was not at top dead center on cam. more like 4-5 links foward.

What to do.....replace chain and rear tensioner or leave it? :confused::banghead:
I'm uploading video of bike running on youtube now. I'll post link.:shrug:

The master link will only be on top when you 1st install it. Once the motor is run, it will be in a different spot with every revolution of the motor. As long as the timing mark on the cam is correct (pointing straight up) at TDC, you're fine. How many miles on the motor?

If you think the chain and front guide are new replacements then they're probably still good. Carefully inspect the rubber strip on the guide to insure it's not coming unglued. That can happen even with no wear showing on the rubber. The rear tensioner is probably fine as well. The rear one isn't prone to failing like the front one.

5-twins....you're just the guy I needed.
Other note I fogot to mention was the fact that I saw shavings in oil filter.
I took the sump out last night and guess what had a blow hole in the mess screening too. (will have to fashion a plate like you did).
Also spun chain around and cleaned it up a bit....I did find a couple links that say "DID" on it. Also chain looked like it was rubbing a bit on the outside of the chain.
I'm just going to replace it to be safe.

I'm still questioning the front guide. looks like no wear on it. I checked the glue it's solid.
The bike had a little over 14,000 miles on it. Oil was all sludge.
Replaced carbs already as the carbs were stuck from old gas.

Any suggestions on cleaning cases? I also wanted to repaint lower cases while apart. but the oil crust is hard to get off.

Thanks again for your help.
I'm hoping to start a build thread on this as I've been taking pictures while going along.

The chips and shavings in the filters usually come from elsewhere, not the front guide. I think the biggest source is that grinding #4 starter gear that many of these bikes suffer from. The front guide usually gives you the black rubber bits, chunks, and sometimes even long strips. If it gets to the point where the rubber is gone and the chain rubs the aluminum base, you usually get aluminum "dust" in your oil, not chunks.

Soda blasting is supposed to clean up the cases quite well. Besides that, intense scrubbing with various solvents is about the only way. I use kerosene mostly, lacquer thinner for the tough spots.

Back