Cam chain tensioner leak

Mine was a D. I fixed the leak but removing the whole assembly and thoroughly washing it in penetrating fluid. Dry ran the nut on the threaded adjuster a few times to ensure the threads were clear then reinstalled it and it went snug on and doesn't leak anymore.

Thanks all for the help.

The exact replacement o-ring size is 1" o.d. 13/16" i.d., available at Do It Best, or probably any other hardware store. I replaced mine, no more leak. Ppl have also ground the nut down to expose more of the old o-ring instead of getting a new one.
Is this the same size for all xs models?

This is for '76 and up. Earlier models use a different size o-ring or cork gasket.

TensionerID.jpg

You can source a whole bag of these (100 ct.) for less than $4 from McMaster Carr. The size is 3/32" wide x 13/16" I.D. x 1" O.D., part #9452K81. I find these wear out quickly and seem to need replacing every couple of seasons. I haven't done the cap sanding but may try it because the o-ring doesn't protrude much at all even when new.

As far as the adjustment changing as you turn the cap nut on, if the threads are clean, then the spring tension should hold the adjuster while you tighten the cap nut.
I do agree though, I feel better with the later E model adjuster. I have one on both the 81, 82, and 75. The one one the 75 came off a free 82 parts engine I picked up years ago.
Leo

I tried to put a nut on mine, but with a '81 you can't use any old nut. It has to have a tapered end. It won't fit in the 6 bolt housing.

have find a nut to fit have it turned to fit into the plate body (looks like a sealing washer under that nut... copper?) and faced for the locknut o-ring to seat against....yamaha only wants $65 for that nut

Last edited:
Back