Cam Chain Tensioner... Oil Leak?

Misterobotto

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I have heard a few people talk about adjusting cam chain tension with the motor running, but with the acorn nut off, It appears to be leaking a bit of oil. Is this normal? I'm assuming it is since there is a rubber gasket on the acorn nut.

As a side note, I just had about the worst experience with a "Mechanic" that I've ever had... Lesson learned... no one else is touching my bike from here on out. Anyway, is it possible that having the valves out of spec could be causing the bike to run extreemely rich (fouled plugs after 4 days)? I tightened up the cam chain with the engine off, and am checking the valves tonight.

Wes

been there done that with mechanics. Had a shop snap my tach drive inside my valve cover on my old shadow. Had to replace the whole rockerbox and arms to fix it. They said they didn't do it, thing was spraying oil and nearly toast when I got it back. A little visit from the BBB changed their mind real quick.

Some oil flows weeps the tensioner; that's why the cap is fitted w a gasket or o-ring.

Back