cam position

baldyforks

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey all, long time no see,
So on to my problem.I have a 77 engine which i have a mix up camshaft (77 cam gear pressed on to a 74 camshaft (previous posts will explain why). i got it pressed on at a shop so hope they lined it up right.
the problem i have is i didnt break the timing chian when i removed the stuffed camshaft and dont know how to line up the crank with the cam so everything runs right, i believe that if i muck this up ill end up with bent valves. so any simple ideas that i can do to line it all up and test if the gear lines up right too?
im not to motor savy so laymens terms would be great.

cheers guys

advance unit locating pin hole on right end of cam should face 12 or 6 when the rotor mark it at T.

there is another way too. search. there is a million posts on it.

advance unit locating pin hole on right end of cam should face 12 or 6 when the rotor mark it at T.

there is another way too. search. there is a million posts on it.

Not accurate enough. You'll want to get a Degree wheel, find TDC, and get a dial indicator to find out exactly where the intake valve is opening. Refer to your manual for the specs on that cam...

Not accurate enough. You'll want to get a Degree wheel, find TDC, and get a dial indicator to find out exactly where the intake valve is opening. Refer to your manual for the specs on that cam...

In your situation this is the only right way to do it.

dam i dont think i have those specs cause i have a 77 manual not the earlier one, cheers thought. might just take it to a shop to do me thinks

Back