cam timing 180 out of sync.

smithll

XS650 Member
Reaction score
O.K. I just replaced both pistons, had cylinders bored, new rings, reground valves, new cam chain. I think I may have put the cam chain on so the cam is 180 out of proper timing. Does this matter with a basically stock xs 650 engine? It seems like it wouldn't matter with both cylinders firing at same time like a Yamaha does. So I want to know if I need to tear the engine apart and install another new timing chain with the cam in proper timing.

there is also a punch mark 90 degrees to the large timing (12 o'clock) mark on the cam sprocket that should be in line with the sealing surface of the head.

No, it really doesn't matter. You can change the timing 180° externally by changing the alignment of the advance unit disc and the points cam. When everything is set up correctly, the locating pins on the advance rod for the points cam and advance disc should point in the same direction .....

AdvanceRod.jpg

Change the advance side so it points opposite to the points side and you will have altered the timing 180°.

Back