Camchain problem

Wolter Sibma

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am rebuilding the topend of an xs650, but i have a problem with the camchain.
When i turn the crank the camchain tensioner pops out and gives a loud tick every rotation at the same moment.
I have made a video of the problem:

thank you!

Last edited:
the sound is too quiet, but I see the plunger coming out a quarter inch or more. You need to screw the entire thing out and post a pic of what you have because it's not supposed to be possible for it to do that.

Last edited:
It appears you are missing the copper or metal/rubber sound deadening damper washer on the plunger. That's why it is popping out past the end of the adjuster screw and probably why it's making that ticking sound. Info on the tensioners can be found here .....

http://www.xs650.com/threads/cam-chain-tensioners.1056/page-2

You have a type E tensioner assembly there, the last version used on these bikes. But, there were 2 versions of that type, an early and late one. By the amount your plunger is popping out past the adjuster screw, I'm going to guess you have the late version that was designed for use with the 3mm thick rubber/metal damper washer. Measure the length of your adjuster screw. That will tell you which version you have and which damper washer to use (2mm thick copper or 3mm thick rubber/metal).

Glad you found the source of your noise.
I have a '79 barn find engine which I'm preparing to teardown, and it makes this identical noise, so this thread (and your vid) was helpful for me. I have a starting point in diagnosing that issue.
Hope the rest of your build goes well.

Back